Re-booting for unkown reason

1933 10:37 30 Aug 2005

Medion, XP with SP2. 512 ram. Recently my machine has taken to switching off and rebooting all on its own. A few minutes ago while sitting doing nothing for 5 minutes it did it again. Is a dodgy PSU a possibilty? Many thanks Dave

Al94 10:44 30 Aug 2005

Could be that or could be a faulty memory module which caused exactly that problem on my wife's PC recently. Have you one module or two, if two - take one out and alternate - also download mem test click here. Also
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now a reboot and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to sort out what's causing the problem - post any message back for help.

Taff36 10:55 30 Aug 2005

Are your fans working OK. Might be caused by overheating.

Funkey 10:58 30 Aug 2005

I'd agree with Al94....possible memory issues, system overheats usually cause lockups rather than reboots.

Also try unplugging all peripheral devices (especially usb ones). And try temporarily running the pc with those unplugged.

woodchip 11:07 30 Aug 2005

You could try a System Restore to earlier date

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone