Re: Bios Setup Software ????

User-F2431D4F-62D0-4437-928506E1A8EE85F7 10:20 31 Aug 2004

Does anybody know how to get Bios setup software to start up on a Dell PC as I am new memory and need to change some timings as I am going 256mb to 1GB mb and after putting the memory in the start up coming up with a white line so I want to change timings any help ???

Carl

geeza 10:49 31 Aug 2004

Try using F2

SEASHANTY 11:07 31 Aug 2004

Some opinions have it that 512MB is the optimum amount of RAM for PC's using XP
click here

SEASHANTY 14:34 31 Aug 2004

Thanks for the email Carl but its better to post on the thread then everyone knows what is happening.
Your email quoted - -

Date: Tue, 31/08/2004 | 11:15

My pc says it can take 1gb okay but having problems with loading it on to the system all that happens is that when it starts a white line comes up then stops so do you know of anything to make it work??

Details
Thanks for reply unquote

If Dell say it can take 1GB then it should but I doubt that many forum members have more than 512MB
hence few replies. The bios should adjust to the
increased memory automatically as it is checked on bootup. However you cannot mix different kinds of memory sticks wnhich may be the problem. How to access your PC bios should be stated in the motherboard manual. Different mfrs use different methods. However, some details of "How to" are given on this website click here
Sorry I have no idea why you are getting a line across the monitor. None of my PC's are equipped with more than 2x256MB sticks of RAM.

SEASHANTY 14:46 31 Aug 2004

If you download the FREE edition of the PC Utility
Everest Home Edition from where it says click here to download the free edition and install on your PC.
Open it - select motherboard and then Memory. It will tell you exactly how much memory you have installed and how much is actually being used at that particular time.
click here

SEASHANTY 14:51 31 Aug 2004

A further link which may be of some assistance to you if you have not already found this website
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?