RD (Rambus) Memory

WiltBoy 15:33 18 Jul 2005

Yes, I know its expensive and somewhat outdated but my Dell 8250 uses it. Where can I get hold of RD Memory at a reasonable price - neither Crucial or Kingston stock it anymore. Dell themselves quote in the Region of £460 inc vat and del.

Any suggestions?

Ta in advance.

Tony

dan11 15:44 18 Jul 2005

Try ebay click here

Have you checked the motherboard, I think some boards do accept ddr ram as an alternative.

WiltBoy 15:58 18 Jul 2005

eBay an excellent suggestion - very possibly the answer. Certainly cheaper than Dell!! Thanks for suggestion :-)

How might I find out if my motherboard might accept DDR Ram?

dan11 16:21 18 Jul 2005

I have had a quick google;-) Unfortunately it seems that your motherboard will probably just have 2 X 2 matched pairs of rambus memory sockets. Sorry:-(

I take it you were hoping for a matched pair of 1 gig memory modules, just guessing at those prices. To be honest, for that money, you could upgrade for a lot less.

An option could be, new case, new motherboard, new memory.

Then use, the cpu, hard drive and optical drives.

New case £30?, new motherboard £50?, 2 one gig sticks of pc3200 £155.

Just a thought;-)

WiltBoy 17:54 18 Jul 2005

Another brilliant suggestion, thank you :-)

I have had a quick google;-) Unfortunately it seems that your motherboard will probably just have 2 X 2 matched pairs of rambus memory sockets.

Sorry:-(

I take it you were hoping for a matched pair of 1 gig memory modules, just guessing at those prices. To be honest, for that money, you could upgrade for a lot less.

An option could be, new case, new motherboard, new memory.

Then use, the cpu, hard drive and optical drives.

New case £30?, new motherboard £50?, 2 one gig sticks of pc3200 £155.

Just a thought;-)

WiltBoy 22:05 18 Jul 2005

Well, it appears the least complicated short term option was eBay - never used it before, really! And that is the option I have taken, I think successfully. However, dan11 that was a brilliant suggestion and I have not given up on that idea for the medium term - seems like a good option to further expand my system pending the release of Longhorn (or whatever it is called) and those twin processor thingamajigs! My system, driven by steam-power is needing an overhaul before that eventuality.

A sincere thank you to your both for your most informed and constructive help. Glad I found this message board.

You both take good care, and thanks again.

Tony ?

dan11 22:37 18 Jul 2005

You are most welcome and as they say, please call again.:-)))

I hope that things work out well for both your system and yourself.

regards

dan11

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?