RAW files, D300 and CS2

Diemmess 22:21 04 Aug 2008

An elderly friend who is used to image manipulation with Photoshop CS2 and Windows 2K has asked me a question that I barely understand, much less able to give him an answer.

He has recently acquired a Nikon D300 body, already has a good card reader and Photoshop CS2 together with Win. 2000 Pro.
The combination will allow him to download images in RAW format from "Simpler" cameras but even using the Nikon software cannot somehow transfer the D300 images into CS2 as RAW.

He and his Camera Club friends think it is going to require CS3 to be able to do this.

I know there are serious photographers in this forum, and I will be visiting this friend tomorrow (Tuesday ) afternoon.

It would be nice to pass on some guidance.

dogbreath1 22:28 04 Aug 2008

Problem is there are different RAW formats. My Fuji camera, for example, produces RAW images in a Fuji format known as RAF.

These RAF images will not open in Paint Shop Pro 9 but will in Irfanview!

Your friend is not on his own!

click here

richierich 22:32 04 Aug 2008

I think you need to download the latest camera raw file from the adobe website, they update this as new cameras come out, although possibly the latest ones may require CS3 but worth a look.

iambeavis 22:42 04 Aug 2008

The version of "ACR" which opens .nef files taken with the D300 is not supported in "CS2". He would need to upgrade to "CS3", or use one of the other converters which are around - "RawTherapee" is free and handles the D300 files - click here

iambeavis 22:45 04 Aug 2008

"Helicon Filter" is relatively inexpensive, easy to use and does a good job of converting .nef files, including those taken with the D300. click here

esbe 23:16 04 Aug 2008

Try downloading 'DNG' from Adobe,but as mentioned before you may need CS3

click here

cheers.

hssutton 23:27 04 Aug 2008

As esbe says download the Adobe DNG convertor, this will solve the problem, or use the Nikon convertor that was supplied with the camera. once converted then use CS2.

Unfortunately he would have to upgrade to CS3 or indeed buy Adobes Lightroom 2 which is a superb program and costs much less than CS3

hssutton 23:28 04 Aug 2008

Should have added that Lightroom 2 can be used for 30 days without any cost

ventanas 09:17 05 Aug 2008

This is something which has always infuriated me. Why don't Adobe continue to support new cameras in Photoshop instead of forcing an upgrade (I full well know why).
Raw files from a D300 are supported in Elements using the latest version of Camera Raw. It lacks certain features compared with Photoshop, but the main ones are there.
As already stated Lightroom is much cheaper than Photoshop and will support these files. I have just upgraded to V2 and really it's the only application you need. I don't like Adobe's methods,or some of their pricing, but I have to admit, Lightroom is superb.

hssutton 10:26 05 Aug 2008

I'm not 100% certain, but I think only the latest version of Elements will accept Camera Raw 4.5, so the same applies.

Adobes pricing and upgrade policy is now upsetting a great many residents of the EU.

The cost of an Lightroom upgrade is:- Download £83.49 (USA $99)Buy the retail box £87.08 (USA $99).

If we strip out the shipping (£5.11) Adobe are charging us more for the download than for the retail boxed version.

What's happened to being environmentally friendly.

Still I can't grumble as I received Lightroom V1 free.

hssutton 10:31 05 Aug 2008

Being a Canon user I cannot be sure if "Silkypix" will convert the D300 raw files, but it's worth checking out. This is an excellent convertor and SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 is a Free Version.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017