Raw

podlod 11:08 20 Apr 2008

Hi I have many photos in RAW and is it possible to decompress these when I need to, and return them to normal size when needed? Thank you.

Acx 12:42 20 Apr 2008

You could zip them (select the files or photo right click/Send To> Compressed Zip Folder) then when need unzip them, this would take time and you would not be able to view them without unziping them.

If you are looking to save space you could save them in a lossless format such as Tiff
click here
fit a second hard drive/s just for the photos or burn them to DVD.

ened 12:53 20 Apr 2008

I use Photoshop Elements 6 and what I particularly like about it is that you get to make adjustments to your RAW file before you open it in the Editor.

If you save them in another format you will lose this function.

I would be inclined to follow Acx last suggestion and find more space.

hssutton 14:45 20 Apr 2008

Some raw formats do not use compression, some implement lossless data compression. however this would be resolved when using your raw converter.

A raw file is typically in the region of 4-6 Mb converting them to an uncompressed Tiff could result in the file size being 30 + Mb, even with compression this would be pointless.

Obviously once a raw file has been converted to Tiff or any other format it cannot be returned to it's original raw state, so the saving of your raw files can be very important.

I do not know of anyone who has tried to compress and archive raw files, so I'm not sure of any benefit. What most photographers do is archive their raw files to a dedicated hard drive, be it internal or external. As an alternative you could archive to DVD (not a route that I would use)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?