Rattly graphics card fan.

Lú-tzé 14:55 10 Jan 2003
  Lú-tzé 14:55 10 Jan 2003

The fan on my graphics card has started to make a noise now - hard to describe it, but it sounds like a rattle. Is it simply a matter of taking it off and replacing it with a similar one from the likes of maplins, or is there more to it that that?

The card is an oem nvidia geforce mx400 - not identifying lables on it anywhere.

I have installed dvd roms, HDDs, pci cards etc. but taking apart a component is a different matter - any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

vinnyT 15:17 10 Jan 2003

You could try taking the fan off and applying a small amount of lubricant, this may cure the rattle. Otherwise yes it's just a matter of buying and fitting a new fan, cverclockersUK do the Zalman ZM17CU VGA Chipset Cooler (SY-000-ZA) and Zalman ZM80-HP Silent Heat pipe VGA cooler (SY-003-ZA) on this page at the bottom;

click here

Lú-tzé 16:51 10 Jan 2003

vinnyT - thanks for that. I will have a look at the fan and see what I can do. Otherwise a trip to Maplins / computer fair tomorrow is on the cards.

vinnyT 11:43 11 Jan 2003

your welcome

Lú-tzé 16:26 11 Jan 2003

Maplins did the trick this morning and I have a nice quiet pc now. Amazing how the sound gradually gets louder - I forgot what it was like new.

vinnyT 11:46 12 Jan 2003

Glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?