Rattle

richiesoft 00:55 14 Feb 2007

There is something amiss with my computer as it has recently started freezing and making a rattling noise from the tower - a sound as if something is spinning around and knocking every cycle! This lasts a few seconds and then stops. I have found that giving the tower a little slap on the side seems to do the trick and halt the rattling... until the next time.
Is it something that I may be able to fix myself? It is almost as if something has come a little loose. Any ideas please?

User-312386 00:59 14 Feb 2007

Take the side of the case off and see

baldtaco 02:16 14 Feb 2007

Given the only moving parts are fans and your HD you should follow what madboy33©® said as soon as possible.

Worst case scenario - HD is dying.

Intermediate - Fan in you PSU is failing. It's a unit you swap whole.

Most likely - Cooling fan. A few bucks to replace, 4 screws and push fit power connector probably.

richiesoft 09:44 14 Feb 2007

Thanks for advice so far... will venture inside and have a look. Not sure what I am looking for? Something that may be loose. What does a cooling fan look like. Will get back to you thanks...

baldtaco 12:43 14 Feb 2007

Case cooling fans are usually 8cm*8cm. Sometimes a tad bigger.

The big critical cooler will be mounted on some kind of lump of metal [aluminum or copper]. That lump of metal in turn sits on your CPU. Essentially, it will be the one you can see "in plan" when you take the side off.

You've may well have a much smaller one "in plan" on the board itself. Although there could be just a smaller, fanless, block of aluminum. That is cooling the bridge.

Case cooling fans are usually "in profile" in vanilla towers, as they just traffic air flow through the case front to back.

If you locate the offending part. Post a link to a photo of it and one of us will tell you what it is.

richiesoft 15:51 14 Feb 2007

Here is a picture of inside the computer case...

click here

It was very dusty - gave it a gentle vacuum. What worries me is how the computer freezes when it rattles. Nothing was loose as expected. The fan that appears "in plan" view is extremely dusty.

Totally-braindead 16:01 14 Feb 2007

Please don't use the hoover on the PC again.

If the hoover is very powerful it can damage some of the components. Even if it is not it can create static electricity and this static can destroy the chips on the board. Particularly the memory chips.

Can you see the make of the hard drive?
You could download tools from the hard drive manufacturers to check your hard drive. They are not 100% but its worth a try.

In the meantime I presume you have started up the PC with the side off and checked all the fans are in fact spinning?
And its not a good idea to run the PC with the side off for expended periods as this can cause overheating as it effects the airflow. Just mentioning this in case you thought of doing it.

Belatucadrus 16:11 14 Feb 2007

The plan view Akasa labelled fan mounted on the heat exchanger unit is the one the keeps the CPU operating at the right temperature, if it's failing and as has already been suggested this is a possibility. The system will overheat and freeze or shut down completely, so symptoms make this plausible.
The CPU fan is one of those bits of kit that really needs to be in full working order, the heat exchanger fins need to be free of fluff and the fan needs to be working. Have a listen too it with a kitchen towel core tube or a bit of rolled up paper. If it is the guilty party, replace it ASAP.

baldtaco 16:22 14 Feb 2007

click here

A=Case Fans

B=Cooler for CPU

C=Hard Drive

D=Graphics

E= Above E, as I can't see, is probably where your Power Supply is.

My guess is B is wearing out, or becoming clogged. As it is failing gracefully you are getting an intermittent failure because of overheating. If that is correct, replacing that fan is easy. But you must be very careful not to move the cooling block it is mounted on. That actually sits on the chip. The seal between that and the chip is maximized with a dollop of paste. Moving the metal cooler will damage weaken that bond, and your cooling will be a lot less effective.Provided you are cautious its a simple screwdriver job.

Sill, we haven't confirmed it is that yet. I'd run it with the side off and try to trace the rattle when it kicks in.

richiesoft 16:29 14 Feb 2007

Thanks for all the advice so far. Will run the tower with the side off for a short while to see if I can trace the rattle if and when it next occurs. What a learning experience this is turning out to be.

baldtaco 16:40 14 Feb 2007

All good fun amigo ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?