Range of Wireless networks...

simon_lambert 09:57 13 Mar 2007

Will a Wi-Fi connection (g) work one storey up and a room across? Will the connection be weak? Thanks

PP321 11:31 13 Mar 2007

the answer to that depends on 493369332 different factors.

Just try it.

PP321 11:32 13 Mar 2007

but...my freind shared my wifi from over the road..

And ten houses up.

mgmcc 12:01 13 Mar 2007

It depends entirely on what lies between the two rooms - thick stone walls, flimsy plasterboard, ceiling materials and so on.

I came across a situation where a new house had the wall cavities lined with aluminium foil for thermal insulation - that killed wireless networking completely from anywhere outside the room!

Ashrich 20:00 15 Mar 2007

Put it this way , I live in a 250 yr. old cottage , my wireless router is in the top left of the house and I get an excellent signal in the bottom right hand side , and can get a signal from the house next door , across the road and from the post office at the end of the village . Yes there are variables , but if you can get your router and wireless adapter matched for manufacturer or at least use the same chipset maker , then unless you live in a huge mansion you should be Ok .

Ashley

Strawballs 22:36 15 Mar 2007

My router is downstairs at the back of the house (up on a shelf) my sons room is at the front upstairs which is wireless and the laptop can access it anywhere including the bottom of the back garden and I even had it working over the road at the back of my neighbours house (Linksys wrt54g cable connection)My sons PCI card is Novatech own brand and the laptop has Broadcom chipset.

dms05 08:58 16 Mar 2007

Don't forget you can use Homeplug for networking over your mains cable in your house. It's more secure and perhaps less troublesome than WiFi with its 493369332 variables. Take a look click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?