Range Problem

bstonehouse 10:05 17 Nov 2006

I have had a wireless network running fine for about 3 months using a Netgear DG834GT router with a wireless laptop with an onboard wireless card and an old desktop PC wired into the router. The problem is that after months of using the wireless laptop anywhere in the house it now will only connect when really close to the router, sometimes no more than 10 feet away. The other symptom is that it does not happen every day, yesterday it worked fine, today it is playing up again. My question is - how do I test to see if it is the router or the wireless card that is faulty, if anyone can give me some help as I don't know where to start, Thanks

Ashrich 18:48 17 Nov 2006

First of all , are there any other wireless networks in the near vicinity ? click here and install and try this , it will show networks running even with their SSID turned off , See if you can try someone else's laptop ( wirelessly enabled ! ) on your network to see if it is the router , update the drivers for the wireless adapter , if your adapter is 802.11g capable make sure it is running " g " only and make sure the router is too .

Ashley

dms05 21:12 17 Nov 2006

The next time you get the effect try changing the channel on your router. Try as many as you can to see if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017