Random popups in IE

_clive_ 20:51 27 Sep 2007

Norton periodically reports that its blocked a trojan but i wonder if something else has got through. IE keeps running slow and when i click on a link it opens another link altogether such as 'errorsafe', 'pcturbopro', 'winantispyware', skypoker' etc.

Tried adaware, Norton scan and AVG but they don't come up with anything.

Any pointers as to where to look and what to do if i find anything please?

Terry Brown 20:59 27 Sep 2007

Try SPYBOT click here
If you have any spyware, this will normally find it.
Terry

VoG II 21:00 27 Sep 2007
  _clive_ 15:29 28 Sep 2007

Thanks for your suggestions, here's what happened....

Well....SPYBOT managed to 'detect' all sorts of things then refused to clean anything out unless i paid them money...best of all it won't uninstall unless i pay them money for the full program which includes the uninstaller :/ (another little project to remove it will have to wait for now)

Superantispyware installed nicely but didn't find a thing with a full scan :/

Still the anoying pop-ups in IE and clicking a link on FF produces another. Norton keeps reporting periodically blocking a trojan and a dialer so i assume i'm pretty safe but it neccesitates a restart to complete the blocking/removal process which is infuriating.

Any other suggestions please?

VoG II 15:37 28 Sep 2007

I think that you've installed a rogue program, not Spybot.

The real Spybot is here click here

_clive_ 15:51 28 Sep 2007

Just d/l Spybot now...yes, somehow i managed to d/l SpyNoMore which won't uninstall sheesh....will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help.

_clive_ 16:10 28 Sep 2007

d/l Spybot but it doesn't want to run...i wonder if the infection has something to do with it? Might Norton prevent it...it hasn't popped up any warnings..

VoG II 16:25 28 Sep 2007

I suggest that you run HJT click here and post your log on the Malware Removal Forum click here

_clive_ 17:01 28 Sep 2007

Thanks for your time VoG, just registered there and posted my HJT log.

VoG II 17:10 28 Sep 2007

You'll have to be patient now and await instructions. MWR doesn't work like here where anybody can chip in. A moderator will assign somebody to work on your problem.

_clive_ 17:13 28 Sep 2007

Ok, thanks again. I've registered and posted on bleepingcomputers too so we'll see what transpires. I'll come back and post when i get a fix for the benefit of others if nothing else :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017