random lockups

User-607600DE-6B22-4475-8CD565A723204C45 19:18 23 Oct 2008

i inherited a fujitsu seimens athlon x2 3800 pc which was subjected to a motherboard replacement and a graphics card replacement owing to i think the same problem (although not totally sure).

i am receiving random lockups generally when windows launches although it has happened pre windows xp booting( so suspect hardware).i get total freeze of the pc although the hard drive light still flickers ,fans on and occasionaly sound (looping noise).
i have to hold the power button down and restart.windows dosn't appear to realise the crash has taken place i.e no disk scan etc.
i have made sure all connections are firm (memory,graphics card etc.) the only thing i am aware of the graphics card (nvidia 7600 i think) needs a 400watt rated psu not the 350w currently used.
could this be the cause? or iffy memory(2gb)or any other suggestions?
incidently the hard disk was brand new and a fresh install with original windows disks and drivers.

skidzy 19:34 23 Oct 2008

Run Memtest to check the memory for errors click here though i reckon your problem could be the PSU,if you can borrow another psu ,a simple change over to a known working one would eliminate this issue.

If the cpu has been changed,check for the Thermal paste/compound...this could be the cpu overheated.

What happens in safemode ?

If all is well in safemode,then you have a software or driver issue normally.

thanks skidzy,
i have used memory test previously ( i should have mentioned this no problems there)the motherboard was professionally fitted(although thats not a guarantee of the thermal paste)the pc can be cold or on for hours before it happens although it does happen perhaps say launching a program or a point of change so the psu is the main suspect for me it happens in the dos screens as well so definately not software?
can the power supply during certain operations be overloaded causing system failure or lock up?

skidzy 19:51 23 Oct 2008

If the machine is being stressed,yes the psu needs to work that much harder as does the cpu.

When ever this problem arises with the computers given to me,i always try a known working psu first.
I have a couple of spare psu's just for this purpose.

You mentioned a mobo change.....why ?
If the mobo was damaged or failing prior to the new installed mobo,there is a small chance of an electric surge has damged the old mobo and the psu.

Of course you need to bear in mind that the hdd is new,it still could be faulty.

Have you run a Chkdsk ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 23 Oct 2008

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

i dont know why the mobo was replaced i was of the understanding it was fried (acording to PC world dont ask!)they replaced the mobo this did not solve the problem (failure to boot i think) and replaced the graphics card it still crashed occasionally so the ownwer gave it to me for spares and bought a new pc.the more i think about this the more i feel the psu is to blame especially as the crashes are so random irregular voltage? which then explains why the pc world repairs failed or didnt solve a random fault?

memory is tested as described ,hard drive seems ok
latest drivers for the gf card )(used driver cleaner before installing)leaves the cpu ,or the psu i would have thought? there are no tell tale beeps on booting either just a single pass beep.

incidently thanks for your suggestions help and advice skidzy and fruit bat its just an irritating problem i would love to solve for my kids!(its their pc now ,they are supervised and too young to tinker btw!!)

skidzy 21:18 23 Oct 2008

For what its SHEPPSTER,trying another older graphics driver may help out here,though i do think the psu needs changing to rule this possibility out.

thanks for your help skidzy ,you have made my mind up i'm going to try a new psu first,if its not that i'm only two items away from a complete re-furb lol!!

many thanks again!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?