Random dropping of wireless connection

agell 09:26 01 Feb 2010

My wireless connection is really bugging me!

My laptop has has been connected to a network for about 6 months and has never before had a problem.

It seems to randomly keep dropping and I can figure out why.

I can connect it via ethernet and the connection is fine. Re-starting the router makes no difference. I have downloaded any updates to my wireless driver that are available but that hasn't made a difference. My firewall and security settings are all ok and haven't changed since I first connected to this network and I haven't added any new hardware or software to the laptop.

There doesn't seem to be anything that triggers the drops that last from 15mins to a couple of hours. But there are times when the connection eventually comes back on again.

Help!

blink2gb 12:47 01 Feb 2010

You need to check the wireless card is set up correct

Right click on the Wireless Area Connection Display Icon on the task bar

Click Status – General - Properties

At the top of display the type of Wireless card will be displayed

Click Configure - Click-Advanced Tab

Click - Power Management Tab

Un-tick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power”

Click Start - Setting – Double click Network Connection – Right click Wireless Network

Connection - Click “View Available Wireless Network”

Click “Change Advance Setting” in the right hand menu

Click “Wireless Network Tab” Tick “Use Windows to configure my wireless network setting”

Select your wireless SSID name in the Preferred Network Box – Click “Properties”

Click “Association Tab” – Tick “Connect even if this network is not broadcasting”

Click “Connection Tab” – Tick “Connect when this network is within range”

agell 19:00 01 Feb 2010

Do those instructions apply to Vista?

mgmcc 22:21 01 Feb 2010

Dropped connections are often due to interference from other 'wireless' devices. Make sure there are no cordless or mobile phones close to either the router or the computer. Try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings.

agell 17:04 02 Feb 2010

I also meant to mention that my laptop doesn't technically 'lose' the connection. It still registers it as an available network to connect to but isn't able to connect to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?