Random crashes / bluescreens

Gav5 21:14 05 Oct 2010

Hello folks,

I keep getting random crashes. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's gaming, surfing the net or just playing music. Sometimes it's the bluescreen, other times it's just a black screen or lots of little squares with the accompanying 'brrrrrrrrr' noise.
It's a home-built system, couple of years old with Vista 64 bit, gigabyte board, intel e6600 cpu, 4gb pc6400 ddr2 (correct voltage & timings for brand), ati4870 graphics. latest drivers for all hardware & bios.
I can run orthos stress tester for hours no problem, same with graphics benchmarking tools.

I'm stumped by this intermitent problem. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Gav5 21:15 05 Oct 2010

Edit,

cpu temps never exceed 45 celcius under load so i'm confident it's not that.

amonra 21:33 05 Oct 2010

Since it doesn't seem to be a software problem, have you tried the "percussion" test ? Give the case a thump to see if there's something loose. If you get a positive result, try tapping individual cards and leads until something happens. Good luck........

Gav5 12:12 11 Oct 2010

I've given the case a jolly good thump periodically over the last few days - to no avail.
Also took the lid off and wiggled graphics card, cpu cooler leads & cables - nothing.

In addition to the initial symptoms, occasionally it hangs at the bios post screen and needs re-set.

I'm thinking ram or hard disk

Cheers,

AndySD 14:43 11 Oct 2010

Run Memtest86 to check the RAM

Just a thought but it could be the CD/DVD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?