Random connect/disconnect problems.

nick_j007 20:36 23 May 2008

Hi all,

Hard to know where to start but I'll start at the beginning I guess.

As I type I am on a wireless network in my home office. I am typing on a Dell laptop with a 3Com card inserted into the PCMCIA slot.

The Router is a 3Com router shown here click here and is in a near by bedroom as the phone point is there, and my signal from there to the office is normal good to excellent. The laptop will chug away day in day out no problems usually, but this too is beginning to break off its connection for no reason, and then will come on again just as unpredictably. I am seeing this same behaviour in the desktop, but it is far less stable.

However, the desktop will also pick up an excellent signal when connected, but breaks off at the drop of a hat and now it is such a problem that for example I am prevented from looking at my email etc. on the desktop (my main workstation).

The desktop uses a Dell wireless 1450 dual band receiver 802.11a/b/g and is sitting all of 18 inches away from the laptops card as I type this, so in theory the desktop should be running like a charm also. I have just updated the receiver's driver from Dell's site but no improvement. The router is running on the latest software/firmware also. I have WEP enabled.

I wonder if this receiver is the culprit? Though with an increase in laptop connection issues maybe not.

I have various panels to adjust settings of course. I have the routers settings which I can adjust when online using http ://192 .168 .1.1/ this all seems good there. I’m now on channel 11 as it seems to be away from a few other networks near me. They are mostly at channel 1 and 6 I recall. I have it set to long range mixed 11b & 11g. The fact that my laptop is running ok, clearly points me back to the desktop and its receiver/settings.

A few settings on the Dell wireless 1450 thing could do with clarification please:
Band selection: Auto, 2.4GHz only or 5 GHz only? (Currently Auto.)
Band Preference: Any, 2.4GHz over 5GHz, or 5GHz over 2.4GHz (Currently Any)
These are currently un-ticked:
Enable radio management support.
Creating ad hoc network connections is disallowed.
Automatically connect to non-preferred networks. (Keep un-ticked I imagine)

Then I have (sorry, still awake?!)
Networks to access:
Any available network (access point preferred) (currently ticked)
Access point (infrastructure) networks only.
Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only.

Without giving complete war and peace, I’m not sure what else to tell you.

Part of me wonders if I am as well to get a new router or wireless unit for the desktop. Though if by changing settings I can resolve it then great. I also wonder if I would be as well to go ‘hard wired’.

If anyone can begin to point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful!
Apologies for the long description, but more info may be of help rather than too little.

Nick

mgmcc 22:44 23 May 2008

>>> Band selection: Auto, 2.4GHz only or 5 GHz only? (Currently Auto.)

Set that to 2.4GHz only as that is the frequency used by 802.11b/g networks.

>>> Band Preference: Any, 2.4GHz over 5GHz, or 5GHz over 2.4GHz (Currently Any)

Set it to 2.4GHz over 5GHz.

>>> Networks to access:

Set that to "Access Point (Infrastructure) networks only".

>>> I also wonder if I would be as well to go ‘hard wired’.

A "wired" network will always be more reliable than a "wireless" one and should be used where possible.

nick_j007 23:06 23 May 2008

Many thanks for the response I shall address those points.

I am typing this from my desktop after bringing the router into the same room with the use of a long telephone wire and then to connect the router directly to my PC using a thick yellow wire (network cable?) I had here. The connection seems to be faultless now.

I think it might be as well to run a fresh BT socket to the office some time soon so I can run a cable as I am now without the long wire!

Shame wireless is far from its cracked up to be.

I will address those settings as you suggest thanks, but remain uncertain why the desktop is unhappy and the laptop (most of the time) happy.

Cheers,

Nick

nick_j007 22:28 25 May 2008

In terms of a hard wired solution, do any of you run network cables between rooms via the outdoor walls?

Also, I see favourable reports of linksys routers and usb recievers...will this be a stronger option than my 3com set up?

nick_j007 22:35 25 May 2008

Ambra wrote this a while back, not sure if the links will work so excuse me if the links don't work:

Having installed Linksys equipment for companies and other persons, never had a call back as yet over the last five years

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway with SpeedBooster

click here

Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Compact USB Adapter

click here

nick_j007 22:36 25 May 2008

Links are dead, but description is above. I wondered if this kit would help me out?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?