RAM upgrade problems

Jai 10:30 29 Jan 2007

Running Win Xp Ser.2; 80gb Maxtor, 256 SDRAM. ATI 9200 ; Current games ie Sims were a bit slow in loading, so decided to up the RAM to 512. Checked the current stick using CPUZ which listed 256 (generic) @ 133mhz, so I bought the same spec but a branded stick (Kingston), had the following probs & been running a week:- (a) Always runs a Scandisk (or whatever) & stops @12% the skips the rest & boots ok (b) sometimes reports an invalid memory instruction (c) always have to re-boot from 1st time start up (d) crucial mem check reports 512mb in each slot?? (e) when re-boot in safe mode command prompt, it always stops at c:\partition\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys for 10-15 mins & then loads ok.
Anyone any thoughts as before I go back to orig. 256mb generic please?

I think with some motherboards you have to have the memmory in banks ie 1&3 or 2&4 check your m/board manual failing that try swoping them about try putting the branded first then the generic

keef66 12:26 29 Jan 2007

You could download Memtest86 and create a bootable floppy or cd which you use to run the memory testing diagnostic, just to make sure both sticks of ram are OK.

I have only ever bought ram from Crucial, and I used their memory selector each time to get exactly the same spec. I have 256 + 256 + 512mb and it works OK

I don't know what else might be different between your 2 sticks. Buffered / non-buffered? Non Ecc? Use the crucial site to see what it recommends for your motherboard.
Are the memory timings set to auto in the bios??

Jai 13:15 29 Jan 2007

Thanks fellas. I seem have to have solved it before I checked your post. Anyway just back from buying another stick of Kingston, why? well I thought that - I'd be better off having 2 "new" sticks, than 1 old & 1 new. Installed both new sticks & still same prob. Then I put 1 stick in bank 1, the other in bank 3 & hey presto no probs whatsoever. Then I checked your replies & handyd hit the nail on the head. So then I am left with 256mb of generic, so I stuck that in bank 2, & so far all is hunky dory with a total of 786 ram. Thanks again.

keef66 13:25 29 Jan 2007

If it runs in dual channel mode when you have banks 1 & 3 filled, you may actually be slowing it down by adding the original stick in bank 2. What motherboard is it? I'll look for the manual.

Jai 13:33 29 Jan 2007

thanks keef66 - never thought of that. M/B is Soltek SL75kav. I'm pretty sure my manual is "filed" somewhere, and knowing me it will probably be in the attic!!!!

keef66 15:08 29 Jan 2007

no mention in the manual of dual channel mode or using particular memory slots first, so I think you're OK as you are. It actually says

"Supporting Different DRAM types used in mixed combinations"

Why you got the problems I'm not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?