Ram upgrade problem

rover364 13:36 05 Mar 2004

My computer is an eTower 633DVD and i have upgraded it from Windows Me to the Windows XP Professional Operating System.The Ram on my computer is only 64mb and, as the minimum requirements for Xp Pro is 128mb, i have tried to fit a new 128mb Ram card without success on 2 occasions.The card is almost identical to the one i have in my machine at present,even down to it being made by the same manufacturer,but it won't have it, and will not boot up at all when i insert the new card.
It is a Pc100 Sdram set up and, if it is the card that is the problem, it will be my 3rd attempt at sorting this out the next time i go in the shop.The chap in the shop has said that pc100 boards are notoriously temperamental when it comes to reccognising new Ram cards - whether that is true or not i don't know.
Would i have to upgrade any drivers or anything before i can use this new card or is it all going to be trial and error - as i suspect it could be?

medicine hat 13:47 05 Mar 2004

Are you putting the new RAM in with the old or have you removed the 64MB first?

xania 13:49 05 Mar 2004

There's very little about these on the net, so haven't been able to look for a manual. Only thing I can suggest - did you remove the old one RAM and insert the new one in the same slot to see if that clears the problem?

Do you have a manual with the manufacturer's e-mail address or web address - you might have some success there.

Old Shep 14:03 05 Mar 2004

Go here click here to see if you have the correct RAM. If your machine is not listed e.mail them all your machines specs and they reply very quickly. I found them excellent.

JJCUK 14:12 05 Mar 2004

I believe you should start here

click here

they do not have the DVD model listed but perhaps a e mail to tech help will sort something out.

And as Xania pointed out some machines need to have the memory fitted in particular combinations

ie: 2 x 64Mb or 2 x 128Mb or just one chip in the first bank 64,128.256 etc

hope that makes sense

Jim

Old Shep 14:13 05 Mar 2004

Forgot to mention - if you want to know your system specs go here click here and get the free download.

rover364 14:19 05 Mar 2004

I have removed the 64mb card and replaced it with the 128 one.When i switch on the computer all i am getting is the manufacturers screen and then it goes blank altogether.When the original 64mb card is put back in, the manufacturers screen comes up, and then there is a bleep, and away we go - everything starts loading up as normal.It is just not booting up with this new card in,even though,as i've said,i am using the same slot that the original card is using.

JJCUK 14:54 05 Mar 2004

where did u get the memory ?

What are the nenory specs ?

do you know what motherboard make/model you have

JJCUK 15:03 05 Mar 2004

and like old shep says download a utility like Belarc advisor or aida32

click here

rover364 15:53 08 Mar 2004

Well, we appear to have cracked it - after trying at least another 10 Memory cards.
I went onto that site suggested by Shep and was informed that there is only 1 PC100 128Mb Card that is 100% guaranteed to work on my computer,along with 2 64mb cards.My Machine is now functioning respectably - although not startling by any means - with 2 64mb cards.
It will do for now for what i want.I am just going to have to resort to cracking open the piggy bank, over the next year or so, and get something more powerful than this out of date thing i have at present.
Thanks to everyone who has helped with this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?