Ram upgrade but no Monitor ! Helppppppppppp !

skidzy 18:31 30 Jan 2006

Can any one help me please,ive recently tried to upgrade my RAM but have nothing on my tft screen.The pc powers up ok but the screen wont work,but will work fine if i put my old ram back.I have the correct ram for the system and trying to upgade with a 512mb and also a 256mb.The system can hold upto 2 gig of ram.Ram im using is PC2100 DDR, 184 PIN ,266 MHZ , I have read somewhere that i may have to free some memory somehow...but i have no idea what they mean or how to do it.Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Skills 18:40 30 Jan 2006

Just try adding one stick at a time and then power on could be that one stick is dodgy. Also chack your motherboard manual as some motherboards are particular about the slots you put RAM in

skidzy 19:11 30 Jan 2006

Hi Skills....Ive tried your way to no effect.Do you think it makes a difference when the new ram im trying to install is double sided as the others are single sided.I will add ive tried the new ram (512mb) on its own and that will not work at all...HELPPPPPPP.The monitor power light seems to be staying on standby when i try to boot up the system,therefore nothing on my screen.Thanks again

Totally-braindead 19:23 30 Jan 2006

The Ram you have got is clearly not compatible with the motherboard, suggest you go to Crucial for memory that will work click here

skidzy 19:35 30 Jan 2006

Hi Totally...I agree with you,ive tried the crucial scanner test,but obviously they will only recommend there own brand.Maybe il buy another and go from there.Thanks for your reply.Hopefully there may be another solution.Thanks again.

skidzy 16:23 02 Feb 2006

Ok..i give up with this Ram..i guess its not compatible.Anyway thinking of buying a new pc soon...MESH ?..anyone who thinks different,id welcome your feedback...thanks for the help guys.

wee eddie 16:43 02 Feb 2006

RAM costs pennies

Of course Crucial recommend their own but it is guaranteed if you buy what they recommend.

skidzy 16:50 02 Feb 2006

I know Ram is a fair price nowadays,Ive been looking around at a few systems and pretty much made up my mind now.The system im using is nearly 4 years old and was my first pc,really ive used this as an apprentice pc.I do have another system in the office which is fine.But really now im on the look out for something reliable (ha ha) and more powerful..as it will be used at home ...3 boys,the other half etc...And Me !!!Guess you can imagine the rest.

skidzy 19:35 02 Feb 2006

Think its time for a New PC...........Not that im desperate at the moment,Butits time for a new one and let the kids have this ...Thanks all for your comments.

Thankyou

skidzy 19:57 02 Feb 2006

Resolved again..Keep ticking the box ! ! ! !

Totally-braindead 22:28 02 Feb 2006

You haven't resolved this, please tick the small box below marked resolved, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?