RAM upgrade - module size

The Belarussian Mafia 21:09 04 Nov 2006

Wanting to upgrade from 512Mb RAM. Buying 1G seems best long-term option, but at present I have 2 x 256Mb modules. If I add the 1Gb, would it perhaps actually slow the PC down to then add back the two 256 modules so there is a total of 1.5Gb?

GEEKSTA 22:36 04 Nov 2006

i dont think it will slow your computer down? if anything it should speed it up because you are adding more RAM memory?

anskyber 22:43 04 Nov 2006

Always assuming your PC will take it. Why not do a scan from here click here to find out.

terryf 22:48 04 Nov 2006

If you have an Intel dual thread processor, it can be better to buy ram in pairs read your mobo handbook

Ashrich 23:17 04 Nov 2006

terryf is on the right track , but any motherboard that has a dual channel memory controller is best having it's memory installed in pairs ( AMD as well , although the new Athlons have a dual channel memory controller built in to the chip ) Modern motherboards quite often have 4 memory slots so you could add a pair of 512mb memory cards to achieve 1.5gb .

Ashley

The Belarussian Mafia 01:25 05 Nov 2006

I've got a pretty top notch motherboard: SLI-enabled with an AMD 3000+ chip. Ashrich - I suspected that what you say is correct, but just wondered how significant the impact would be if the different-sized RAM sticks were installed.

Context: one of my lads is getting Medieval II: Total War & he is very keen to max out as many settings as possible. (NVidiA 128MB GT6600 graphics card.) He has been a bit disappointed with how far he could stretch things on Rome: Total War...

Ashrich 09:23 05 Nov 2006

I think the graphics card may also be a bottleneck here , 128mb is a bit small for top notch gaming especially with AA turned on . Different sized memory modules aren't a problem as long as the pairs match ( 2 x 256mb and 2 x 512mb ) . As for the SLI motherboard , what about getting another GT6600 , same as the one you have , make sure to get the right one so they run together , and have an SLI setup , now that would run his games at lightening pace , and Christmas is just around the corner .....

Ashley

The Belarussian Mafia 19:15 07 Nov 2006

Ashrich - I read somewhere that using the SLI only makes a significant difference if you have a large screen (ours is only a 15" LCD).

The biggest question remains: how would the PC perform with a 1x1Gb stick combined with 2x256Gb? Would it actually perform better with just the 1 Gb on its own?

The Belarussian Mafia 18:04 08 Nov 2006

If nobody knows, I'll maybe just have to buy a couple of 256Mb sticks to make it 4 x 256, just to be safe.

ed-0 18:23 08 Nov 2006

make and model of motherboard?

Unless it is running in dual channel mode, the 1Gb stick would be best. As to using another 2 x 256Mb dimms,to make 1Gb, that depends on the motherboard. If it is dual channel and it can take the extra 2 x 256Mb. Then this would be your better option.

4 x 256Mb running in dual channel mode will be faster than 1Gb running at it's bog standard frequency.

The Belarussian Mafia 18:46 08 Nov 2006

ASUS A8N-SLI. Not sure if dual channel, but if it is, I'll take your advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017