RAM upgrade

jackwalsh 12:15 03 Feb 2009

Hi,
Just recently upgraded my RAM from 256MB to 1GB.I've put in the new 1GB stick and working ok with no problems. I was going to upgrade to 2GB once I knew everything was working fine but the cost has spiralled over the last few weeks for some reason so I'm going to leave it for now. My question is, could I install my old 256MB stick,to increase to 1.25GB, or would my pc just run at the 'slowest' RAM speed, as some people have stated previously? Thank you to everyone for their help.

kidda123 12:23 03 Feb 2009

It's possible but experts would say you should always have 2 matching sticks of RAM. Matching in both specs and brand.

1 gb should be giving you a real performance boost over your 256mb?? I would say wait until a matching 1 gb stick comes back into your price range.

Kidda123

Quiet Life 18:01 03 Feb 2009

This should help

Can I mix memory modules of different speeds, such as, say:
Using one 512MB DDR2-400 memory module and one 1024MB DDR2-533 memory module, or
The same speed memory with different latencies
Yes. The memory will just run at speed of the slower memory module.

Can I mix memory modules of different size? Yes, you can mix and match memory modules of different megabyte capacity any way you like.

Can I use a brand new memory module with my existing, used memory modules? Yes, the most important thing is that they are of the same type, such as DDR or DDR2. For adding memory, most of the time there will be at least one empty memory slot you can use to just insert the new memory. Consult the documentation that came with the computer to verify how the memory slots should be filled. If all the memory slots are already filled then you can "swap out" an older memory module to reach the amount of memory you desire. For example, let's say you have a computer with two memory slots that are filled, each with a 512MB memory module, for a total system memory of 1024MB. You can get to 2048MB of total system memory by replacing the two 512MB memory modules with two 1024MB memory modules

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?