Ram upgrade

Jak_1 21:32 24 Jul 2006

I am looking to up my Ram. Current specs is 512MB DDR400 PC3200 in an ADVENT 3615 pc, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ chip, MSi 6471 K8T800 mobo.

I was looking at the Elixir click here at Microdirect. Are they a good make or should I steer clear and go for the more expensive Kingston brand.

I need the extra RAM as I do a lot with graphics and video.

Diodorus Siculus 21:46 24 Jul 2006

I'd go with Crucial - I don't think that they are particularly expensive. On a par with regular Kingston, I suppose (as opposed to Kingston Value RAM).

Furkin 22:37 24 Jul 2006

I'd definitely go with Crucial. I can't get a better price for the quality.
Although I can't find your exact model on their site,,, a quick e-mail to them will get you what you want,,, & they guarantee to send the right module for your machine.
I've only ever needed their customer service once, & it was quick & easy - no headaches !
Good Luck

sean-278262 22:51 24 Jul 2006

Crucial ram here too, mine arrived today and I am well pleased. However had kingston before and just as good in my eyes.

However try using crucials site configurer to find what chip model number is required and save a fortune by buying from dabs or elsewhere as it saved me about 30quid IIRC.

skidzy 22:52 24 Jul 2006

Crucial System Scanner
Our scanner tool can tell you about your current memory configuration and recommend compatible upgrades for your specific system.

Taken from click here

I think you will find most forum members will recommend Crucial.

Hope this helps.

DieSse 23:02 24 Jul 2006

When building systems, I used whereever possible Kingston RAM - it came with a lifetime warranty, which I always used as a selling point.

Since then I still buy Kingston RAM - just upgraded to 2x512MB Kingston modules in my own system - it works fine.

That said most branded RAM is first quality - unbranded RAM can be decidedly dodgy, depending on whether it's second or third quality. It's all to do with the layout and design of the circuits on the RAM modules - where and how many decoupling capacitors there are - who makes the actual chips, and how well they meet their specification - and the working tolerances on the chips.

RAM, like a PSU, is an item to buy for quality, not cheapness.

Jak_1 00:21 25 Jul 2006

Many thanks Guys, I'll go for quality methinks fo the sake of a few pounds it's prob worth it. I will check the crucial site now..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone