RAM Slot Problem

Legslip 08:01 02 Feb 2010

I hae an IBM Thinkpad where despite having 1gb RAM installed (512 in two slots), it only sees one of the slots. I have definately proved it is a slot problem by swapping the RAM around and the most the BIOS ever sees is 512 in the good slot. Is it an unrepairable malfunction or is there some way of enabling the slot to be seen?

User-312386 09:29 02 Feb 2010

It depends on how much your motherboard supports!

Sea Urchin 10:08 02 Feb 2010

Which model of IBM Thinkpad? Some only take 256MB of RAM - some 512MB and others far more.

Legslip 10:55 02 Feb 2010

This one takes 1gb but the BIOS is only seeing 1 slot, therefore running on 512.

GaT7 11:18 02 Feb 2010

Where did you get the 2nd 512Mb module from?

What's the model of the laptop?

Some older laptops will only allow single-sided modules to be used if both slots are filled. It may also require low-density RAM. The 2nd module may be high-density, so only recognising 512Mb even though you're installing 2x 512Mb modules. G

Legslip 11:30 02 Feb 2010

Crossbow. The second module was already in the machine although I didn't know it at the time. I stated out by doing a CRUCIAL Ram test and it showed 512 in one slot with a spare slot free so I ordered another 512. When it arrived I went to put it in and thats when I found the second slot already filled. By jiggering the sticks around I have def. proved that the other slot is not being recognised.

Will advise model later.

GaT7 11:43 02 Feb 2010

If the 2nd module was purchased from Crucial, then it'll be the correct type. If not, where did you buy it from?

Download & run CPU-Z click here. What does it say on the SPD tab about the 2 modules? Are they being recognised?

Also download the standalone version of SIW click here (as CPU-Z is not always accurate) & run it. Select Memory under Hardware in the left pane. What does it say in the right pane? Are they being recognised?

Another reason the BIOS is not recognising both could be that it needs a BIOS update to do so - similar to the laptop in this thread click here. G

Legslip 22:26 02 Feb 2010

Thanks Crossbow. I'll try flashing the bios over the weekend and report.

Legslip 13:29 05 Feb 2010

Upgraded the BIOS with no effect then found this...... click here

Will try the fixbut look like I'm stuck with it.

Legslip 13:19 08 Feb 2010

Found that this is a common manufacturing problem with the T30 in that the RAM slot, mbd connection suffers from dry joints (bit like mine!). I placed a volume of thick tape over the fault ram slot (with the RAM in) and screwed the cover back. The pressure of the cover on the tape is forcing the RAm slot back into it's mbd connections enough for the RAM to be recognised. Eureka!

Legolas 13:36 08 Feb 2010

Interesting thread, all this high tech stuff and a good old fashioned bit of sticky tape does the job lol. Well done

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?