RAM shared with graphics - should I allocate more?

six-h 15:12 03 Aug 2009

My laptop has it's max RAM of 1GB, currently 16MB is allocated in BIOS to graphics, I believe that I can alter this to either 32 or 64MB, what are the pro's and con's of this, and is it a simple task?

GaT7 17:56 03 Aug 2009

No harm in trying I suppose, as a few MB here or there isn't going to drastically alter things too much. I'd definitely try raising the graphics RAM to see what it did for overall system performance, or just out of curiosity even!

If you know where the setting is in the BIOS, make the change & save it before exiting. And, as it's easily reversible, you can always go back to the previous setting, or try another one. G

woodchip 18:02 03 Aug 2009

see how it goes with what you have, if no go, go to 32mb

Strawballs 18:36 03 Aug 2009

What O/S if XP no problem if Vista 1gig is a bit low already.

woodchip 20:59 03 Aug 2009

I have run XP on 256Mb for a long time before upgrading it to 512 it is all you need for normal Computer use. But First try BIOS Graphics on 16mb before you decide to go for 32mb shared as it will leave you more to work with. Cannot tell you more than that as we do not know how you intend to use your Laptop

six-h 22:20 03 Aug 2009

Sorry I've not responded guys, just got in.
Yes, I'm running XP with a Celeron 2GhZ chip with 256MB level 2 cache.
Upping the RAM from 512MB has eased the pressure a little on the processor, but not as much as I'd hoped.
I don't know much about L 2 cache, but liken it to the messenger running back & forth with packets of info (in this case small ones!)
It seems to be OK editing photos with PSE, but I guess that would not be affected by the amount of graphics RAM.
Just want to play the odd Vid. do some Photo editing, general surfing and Office tasks.
Playing youtube vids is stilted until fully loaded, and even then on full screen its like a series of still shots!
Had big probs installing K-lite, had to abort due to BSOD so can't play video to see how that performs.

woodchip 23:31 03 Aug 2009

you may be better setting video memory to 32mb in bios

six-h 21:47 04 Aug 2009

woodchip, tahnks, I'lltry and find the option in BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone