Ram Question.

pac73 04:06 18 Oct 2006

Ive got 2 questions,the first is"How do i get in to bios".Because im told ive got 256 mb ram,but i can only see 192 and id like to have the full 256.My secound question is"Ive got a toshiba portege 3480ct laptop,what i want to know is can i add to my 256mb ram".Because id like to have 512mb.

terryf 05:23 18 Oct 2006

when booting press Del, some of the Ram is used by the system and you will never be able to get all. To add ram for your laptop, go to the toshiba site and see if adding ram is there

moorie 06:31 18 Oct 2006

the probable difference in your 256mb ram and the 192mb showing is likely to be 64mb on board graphics,secondly with regards your laptop visit crucial ram they have a program that identifys your current set up and how many slots available etc plus if you get stuck they have a pretty good tech support.

anskyber 11:04 18 Oct 2006

Use these people, its safe to do so. Half way down on the right "Scan my System"

click here

anskyber 11:11 18 Oct 2006

Ive just run a check on it for you and this is the result click here Another site said it has only got one slot for memory and the memory is also shared giving you the reduced memory for the system. Non standard units may be available but it looks like lightness and slimness have lead to bespoke parts inside the unit.

pac73 21:33 18 Oct 2006

Thanks guys,so it looks like i cant add ram.This is my first pc which i bought to learn on.

moorie 09:00 19 Oct 2006

did they say you cant add ram?
whats the maximum ram you can have?
unless its very old i would of thought you could increase the ram size by removing the 256 and adding 512mb if theres only one slot?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?