RAM probs

orbitfish 01:28 10 Mar 2006

Installed 256mb of sdram sodimm into compaq presario 700 series notebook, after checking with HP that it would take the upgrade. Initially bought a Micron systems module,installed that into the notebook and the whole system kept locking-up.
Tried contacting HP who said the module was incompatible and suggested I get a new module from a Compaq retailer: tried this with the same result. More money!

Notebook only has one memory slot and 256 is the maximum HP say it can handle. I bought this notebook in 2001!

Also, can anyone give me some informstion about the virtual memory settings. Will this really improve the systems smoothness as much as extra RAM?

Cheers in advance

OF

baldtaco 05:56 10 Mar 2006

One of the points of stacking your machine full of RAM is to avoid thrashing your hard drive by excessive use of virtual memory. If your machine is really struggling you might have to tweak the size up a little, but to begin with I’d let XP manage it and see how it gets on. In an ideal world you’d stack it so full of RAM virtual memory use would be trivial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?