ram problems

ugy101 18:19 27 Jun 2004

hi guys

my pc spec is:

proc: 1000mhz amd athlon
RAM: 256mb

right, i have been of problems with my ram. my pc is only booting up with 64MB of ram, which is very slow as you may know. i have been suffering from them nasty blue screens aswell, which has bought on the ram problem. when the system does boot up with 256 mb, it throws up the blue screen after 5 mins.

i did suffer from this a while back before and i resolved it by changing the setting on my page filing, but it doesnt appear to work now even with that

can someone please give a resolution to this asap as i am too used to 256mb, and 64mb is really making me want to punch the pc :)

thanks

Night Ryder 19:44 27 Jun 2004

Check that your ram is firmly seated in it's socket. If the problem still persists you may have a faulty stick of ram in your computer.
There are some free programs you can download from the internet that are designed to check system ram if your computer will stay up and running long enough. Should also mention, 256mb is on the low side for Windows XP. If you can afford to put more in your system will run much more efficiently.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 27 Jun 2004

click here try memtest could be your memory sticks not seated properly but would have expected beep errors or black screen on boot up if that

Night Ryder 20:35 27 Jun 2004

I've had an idea. Is your 256mb of memory on one stick or two 128's. If you have two sticks of memory you could try this. Remove both sticks of memory and put one in at a time in slot one, then re boot. If there is still a problem, shut down and swap the sticks. (remember, only one stick at a time in slot one). Re boot your machine again. If it works with one stick but not the other, there you have it. One of your sticks is faulty. Also check what sticks you are using and refer to the motherboard manual as different motherboards expect memory to be fitted in very specific orders and sizes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?