ram problem

delantero 22:11 16 Dec 2005

Hi, I am running windows xp service pack 2. I decided to add another 512 ram to my existing 512 DDR Kingston PC3200. The new ram is exactly the same as that installed in the motherboard which is a Gigabyte K8VT800. When I started the computer there was a series of long beeps. I removed the new ram and the computer booted as normal. Suspecting the new ram might be faulty I took out the original ram and tried to boot with the only new ram. The same error beeps again. However, after returning the original ram to its original position and removing the new ram I am getting the same error messages. I have tried placing the ram in all 3 slots but always the same. What has happened? Any help greatly appreciated.

Freddog™ 22:19 16 Dec 2005

That's what it seems like.

RobCharles1981 22:26 16 Dec 2005

Probably Faulty Ram I think

delantero 22:26 16 Dec 2005

But why does the original ram no longer work? It was fine up until now.

RobCharles1981 22:29 16 Dec 2005

Probably Faulty Ram I think

Freddog™ 22:31 16 Dec 2005

You know you could of burnt out the original stuff?

zarobian 22:37 16 Dec 2005

Are you installing the first strip in Bank '0'?

In other words it must be installed in its original position.You cann't just leave the Bank '0' empty.

Z

delantero 22:47 16 Dec 2005

thanks for the replies. Yes I have returned the original ram to its original position but it no longer works.

"Yeah

You know you could of burnt out the original stuff?"

How could this have happened? As I said before, when trying the 2 together they didn't work. I took out the new and the pc booted fine with just the original one. Tried the new one on its own and got the error beeps again. Took the new one out to boot from the original and it had stopped working too. If the original has burnt out, when and why did it happen?

delantero 23:17 16 Dec 2005

is resetting the CMOS worth a try? Kingston recommend it on their website.

badhair1963 00:10 17 Dec 2005

Try this click here

DieSse 00:15 17 Dec 2005

Did you unplug the system before moving any RAM - unless you did (or switched off at the mains), the motherboard is still live. Just powering down in the normal way is not enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires