RAM memory, Windows XP and new Windows...?

Antonio Machado 15:25 11 Jun 2009

Hello experts !

I have Windows XP Professional (Pack 3) and my PC has 4 GB RAM. Windows XP recognizes a maximum of 3 GB RAM, so I have 1 RAM installed which can not be used. I was wondering if any new version of Windows will recognize the full 4 GB RAM I have in my PC ? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and insights. Best, Antonio Machado.

phono 15:33 11 Jun 2009

This is a known limitation of XP and I am unsure if there is any way around it. 64 Bit versions of XP and Vista do not have such limitations but to run them you will need to have a 64 Bit CPU installed, I have Vista 64 Bit and am running with 8 Gb of RAM without any problems.

Antonio Machado 15:45 11 Jun 2009

Thanks for answering my question, Phono. And how do I know if I have a 64 Bit CPU installed ? please let me know how can I check that information in my PC. Best, Antonio Machado.

woodchip 15:53 11 Jun 2009

One Question, Why do you need all that Ram? What do you use your Computer for?

Antonio Machado 17:07 11 Jun 2009

Hola woodchip, thanks for making time for helping me. "Why do you need all that RAM ? what do you use your computer for ?" Well my friend, it does happen that I have a wonderful multimonitor system, it is a four 21" CRT Monitors in a row, which give me a lot of fun, I can have several websites at the same time, or I check my e-mail in one monitor, having one or two Microsoft Word Documents in the second monitor, watching CNN news in the third monitor and browsing the Internet on the four monitor, of course all that stuff requires a lot of RAM Memory, that is why I am interested in using the 4 GB of RAM I have in my PC to their full capacity (right now my Windows XP Professional just recognizes 3 GB of RAM, meaning that I have one RAM useless). Thanks for continuing helping me. I checked it (Start-My computer-Properties) and it says "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3", it does not say anything about 64 bit, so I guess I have the 32 bit version. So now I have another question for you my friend: I assume I will have to buy the 64 bit version ? or is it a free-download from the website of Microsoft ? also my computer is a DELL Precision 370, with an Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz, does it have something to do with this matter ? thanks again, looking forward to news from you, best, Antonio Machado.

bremner 17:18 11 Jun 2009

...or is it a free-download from the website of Microsoft ? lol

I would wait until October 22nd and get the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Antonio Machado 17:27 11 Jun 2009

Hola Bremner: thanks for helping me. So there is not a free lunch over there, uh ? o.k., so I guess I'll have to work some extra-hours. Now my friend you suggest me to wait until October 22nd. and get the 64 bit version of Windows 7, that is a great idea. As for the model of my PC (DELL Precision 370 with an Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz, does it have something to do with this matter ? in other words, Bremner: is my PC enough to handle the 4 GB with the new 64 bit version of Windows 7 ? do you have an idea of the price of that Windows 7 ? websites or links please ? thanks again, looking forward to news from you, Bremner, best, Antonio Machado.

Quiller. 18:22 11 Jun 2009

First.
Your machine has the correct components to run a 64bit operating system. You would have to check your peripherals for 64bit drivers. ;-) Thats if you ever decided to go to 64bit.

As to your 3Gb of memory.

When you have all 4 monitors running, what is your ram usage in task manager > physical memory > available? Also look at page file usage.

If you have enough spare ram, you could turn off page filing to use a faster type of memory.

julius44 19:03 11 Jun 2009

hello Antonio, i'm very interested in your post, and i'm interested in getting a monitor like what u have can u kindly send me any links with info on this monitor pls. I have a Dell pentium 4, model 5150, purchased in Jan 05, and I have windoes xp SP3, i upgraded to 2Gb RAM, from 1gb, and i was considering upgrading it to 4gb, but after reading the post and finding out xp wil only read 3gb instead of 4(i guess i have a 32bit machine like u do!!!), i may just decide to get windows 7 ealry next year(once all bugs have been sorted out for it..cos it will DEF have bus, lol!!!!)

ronalddonald 19:07 11 Jun 2009

mint would recognise it

woodchip 22:11 11 Jun 2009

You would have to buy 64bit windows, And it could be more of a problem than what you have. My suggestion is you should have enough with 3Gb ram, What you need is a very good Graphics System Card with as much ram on the card that your computer can deal with Static Ram is not going to make that much difference.

You could also try a Ram Manager click here Don't ask as I know nothing about any on this page, I used to use one with 98se it was very good as 98 was poor at managing Ram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone