ram help

fudgester 10:26 25 Feb 2006

i want to upgrade the ram in my dell machine. i have found some that is IBM registered. will it work in my dell machine?
thanks

Eric10 10:52 25 Feb 2006

If in doubt about memory go to Crucial click here. Use the Memory Advisor Tool and enter the details of your system, then it will suggest memory that is guaranteed to work with your system.

Fingees 10:53 25 Feb 2006

Go to

click here

This will tell you exactly what you require.

their memory is guarnteed for life,

Money back guarentee. If it doesn't work in your computer.

fudgester 11:07 25 Feb 2006

cheers for your response. i have checked the crucial site and i know i need ecc ram. what i need to know is if the ram i am looking at buying is IBM registered, does that mean it will only work in an IBM machine?
thanks

ardvarc 11:21 25 Feb 2006

Try phoning Crucial for advice on 0800 013 0330

They are open on Saturday until 4pm I believe.

Eric10 12:30 25 Feb 2006

You can buy registered or unregistered ram. I would think that the IBM just refers to the make of the ram and it is stating that it is registered ram; not that it is registered for use with IBM machines. The ram you are looking at would have to be seriously cheaper than Crucial's to make me risk my money on unknown ram rather than buying Crucial's which is guaranteed to work.
click here for a list of memory terms including ECC and Registered.

fudgester 12:33 25 Feb 2006

eric you are a star. thanks for your help. it is cheaper - around £20 only other thing is crucial came back with pc2100. the one i am looking at elesewhere is pc3200r - what does that mean, and can i use it?

Eric10 12:42 25 Feb 2006

I can't guarantee that you can use it but generally you can use faster ram than your PC runs at although it will only run at the slower speed. Having said that, I do know of cases where some motherboards can be unstable when run with ram from the cheaper ranges that is rated faster than the Front Side Bus.

fudgester 12:53 25 Feb 2006

eric, cheers for your help, much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?