RAM frequency

dmm27 20:28 30 Jan 2006

Have noticed since changing BIOS battery and resetting defaults that my RAM frequency is set at 100MHz, and my CPU speed is also 100MHz. It is an 800 Duron.

However the RAM is supposedly 133MHz, and lately the PC has not been behaving!

Should the RAM run at the same spped as the CPU, or the speed that it is supposed to run at. Up until recently, the PC worked fine. The RAM has been in for a while and was replaced from Crucial using their memory selector, so it should be the right one

Totally-braindead 20:34 30 Jan 2006

The RAM may well be 133Mhz but if the PC runs at 100Mhz then thats as fast as it can run. What do you mean by misbehaving its not much of a description you know. Is it crashing or locking up or what. Also what is your operating system XP, ME or Windows 98.

hzhzhz 20:41 30 Jan 2006

The duron has a 100mhz FSB as standard.

Totally-braindead 20:44 30 Jan 2006

Its possible its the RAM but since you bought from Crucial its unlikely. Need description of what the computer actually does and your Operating System.

dmm27 22:23 30 Jan 2006

i've posted elsewhere, see below

click here

click here

basically tried everything suggested, except another PSU, which I am beginning to wonder if it is that, as it keeps rebooting. RAM itself seems fine according to memory tester programs

i think it is time for a new PC

woodchip 22:39 30 Jan 2006

Have you tried Scandisk, check all the drive and set it to repair. Also put your 98 cd in comp then in Run type SFC press enter and run the program

dmm27 23:52 30 Jan 2006

yep, i think i've tried it all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?