RAM difference - which is correct?

kenwyn 08:25 15 Dec 2006

Hi -running Windows XP with 2.8Ghz processor -when then PC starts the BIOS momentarily shows I have 512mb of RAM, however, when I go into System in Control Panel, its shows I only have 256mb of RAM -without opening the PC, which one is more likely to be correct? If I open up & find 512mb inside, is there any way to get the system details to recognise this? - to be honest it feels like its only running 256mb, particularly when doing video editing

Dizzy Bob 08:31 15 Dec 2006

Shared graphics?

If the machine has an 'on board' graphics chipset rather than a seperate card, the machine may be allocating some of gthe system RAM to the graphics card.

I think it is unlikely that a machine with 512 RAM would have a 256 graphics chipset, but it is worth checking before you start opening cases up etc.

DB

ed-0 09:59 15 Dec 2006

It would depend on were you are getting the figure of 256Mb.

Right click my computer > properties > What is listed under " computer " in system properties?

Also it is worth downloading cpu-z click here. Look in the spd tab. This will tell you what you have in the first slot of you motherboard. Use the drop down box to check the other slots on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?