RAM FOR DELL OPTIPLEX GX270

crocbadger 20:34 25 Jan 2005

Hi Guys
Checking out a ram upgrade for the above comp.
Through Dells site it recommends kingston 256 meg ram for £56.82
Is this the only ram it will take
Thanks
Billybear

Taw® 20:45 25 Jan 2005

Kingston is obviously one of the best, but you can use other cheaper versions that are the same pins and speed. As with all things, you get what you pay for. If you are looking to make a saving you could also do a search on ebay for the kingston RAM

Gongoozler 20:46 25 Jan 2005

I had a look at the Crucial website and their excellent Memory Selector gives 2 entries for Dell Optiplex GX270, Desktop and minitower, and Small form factor, but both seem to end up at the same place click here. and offer much better value than you quote. Crucial memory is superb quality and fully guaranteed to work on your system. It is sent post free and the customer support is excellent.

crocbadger 20:54 25 Jan 2005

Well thanks for the quick replies
I have checked the crucial link out,one thing i am upgrading this for a family friend and have noticed that for better performance it must be installed in pairs (eg 2x256 megram)
Will he notice any difference if i just buy one and have 1 stick of 256 installed.
And is this dual channel memory
Thanks for all your help

Gongoozler 09:46 26 Jan 2005

Hi crocbadger. Some motherboards work better with the ram installed in pairs. The best thing is to ask Crucial click here, they are always very helpful and answer queries very quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?