RAM

chocolate cake 15:17 24 Feb 2007

I'm trying to help my mother in law with her HP PC running XPSP2 as it seems to be running a tad slowly these days.

I've run all the usual scans and clean ups and am coming to the conlusion that with only a 256Mb RAM and 1.5GHz processor she could be due for an upgrade.

Being relatively new to upgrades can anybody tell me which would be preferable; an upgrade of both CPU and RAM, just the RAM or just the CPU?

Also are all RAM and CPUs compatible and how do I establish which type I need if this applies?

VoG II 15:21 24 Feb 2007

I would increase the RAM first and see the effect (assuming that she isn't trying to run the latest games).

From her PC run the Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool click here

SANTOS7 15:21 24 Feb 2007

click here

taking into consideration what your Mother in law is going to use her PC for i would just go with memory,
the link will help you get the exact upgrade you need,good luck..

terryf 15:22 24 Feb 2007

Before you leap out and buy more Ram be aware that some mobos will accept up to 4gb but winxp wont see it. I tried with a couple of my PCs and did not see 4gb so reverted to 3gb. It is also better sometimes to fit pairs ie 2gb = 2 x 1gb and 1gb = 2 x 512m. My mobo has 4 slots with different colours for the paired memory.

chocolate cake 15:24 24 Feb 2007

RAM seems the popular choice and for what it's worth I agree.

What kind of prices am I likely to be looking at?

Jackcoms 15:27 24 Feb 2007

"What kind of prices am I likely to be looking at?"

If you run the Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool as already suggested, that will give you prices!

chocolate cake 15:42 24 Feb 2007

I've just run that and with the speed it's running have only just managed to get in to post a retraction.

Thanks all!

P.S Bit tetchy today Jackcoms!

Jackcoms 15:45 24 Feb 2007

"Bit tetchy today Jackcoms!"

No, I'm always tetchy (according to my wife). ;-))

chocolate cake 15:49 24 Feb 2007

Thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?