Ram

LANDCRUISER 15:26 07 Sep 2003

why is my ram so high my cpu reads 4% & my ram reads 68% & swap reads22% my com spec-- mesh matrix xp 2000+ quantispeed amd athlon - 512mb ddr -80gb udma-133 (7200 rpm)with 2mb buffer - 64mb nvidia geforce- ti500

JMG 18:33 07 Sep 2003

Sounds normal to me. Windows assigns RAM usage dynamically. If proceeses are running that require RAM it is allocated up to the maximum on board at which point it pages out to your HDD. Don't worry about those figures.

LANDCRUISER 19:41 07 Sep 2003

thanks for your replie jmg the reson why it concerns me is that when the ram rises & it hit the 100% some times the cpu also rises & this also hit the 100% mark & then the pc freezes, i then have to wait ages before i can use the pc all log off & reboot pc this problem has not long started & i never had pc freeze on me before

JMG 21:47 07 Sep 2003

Are the Virtual memory settings correct for your computer. There is much debate, some say 2.5 times RAM is the best but if you have it set so that the system manages it you will not go far wrong.

In case you don't know where they are right click my computer, properties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, virtual memory, change and set to system managed. Reboot and see what is going on now as you up the demands on the system. Sorry if you have already checked this.

Regards

LANDCRUISER 23:10 07 Sep 2003

my settings are 766--1532 which is i think one & half times is this correct fot 512mb ddr they have always been set at this, although i have tried windows to manage it,even with windows managing it,i still have this problem.

JMG 18:35 08 Sep 2003

That is as normal as can be also. A bit odd this one.... have you, are you running any seriously power hungry programs when this is happening - Cntrl-alt- Del will list the ones at the time of crisis if you can access the program manager at that point. Have you added any programs, hardware or made any significant system config changes before the problem occured. In short, what has changed between you having the problem and not? I have run a few experiments, whilst it is very easy to get the RAM up to full use, it should then drop back unless you are running some hungry apps. Same goes for procesor usage. Have you got a copy of SiSoft Sandra 2002 or later. Downloadable from Cnet.com among others, that way you can have a full system check up and also seriously work your memory, CPU etc to find weaknesses if any.

LANDCRUISER 23:25 08 Sep 2003

in reply to your responce jmg,i have loaded quiet a lot of new apps recently so pinpointing it to one app is quiet difficult,looking in task manager these are the most hungry app, aol-38,148k ccapp exe=14,188k explorer=19.900 svchost exe=23,088 big fix=9,484 these appear to be the biggest memery user i am also running norton systemworks 2003 edition thanks for your help so far

JMG 17:58 09 Sep 2003

I would be interested to see what Sandra says especially within the burn in and benchmark modules.

LANDCRUISER 23:21 09 Sep 2003

yes i will try sisoft sandra, is it esay to use.how do you use it,any help would be nice.

JMG 18:33 10 Sep 2003

Yes it is very simple, installs very quickly and then you are faced with a whole array of tests. All are well explained in the help section and all are one click and you're away. If it shows nothing within the testing modules, the only option would be to try and recreate the problem and observe which action, program or hardware usage caused the prroblem.

Hope this helps.

LANDCRUISER 17:05 11 Sep 2003

i have managed to find sisandra on a old disc i have, i knew i seen it somewhere,as i am not that clued up on this softwhere can you tell me where to look for the information i need & the tests relevent to my problem,which section do i need to investigate on si sandra

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017