To RAID or not..Advice Please

PO79 15:05 11 Jan 2008

My new PC will have 2x150GB Raptor X 10000 HD's for a dual boot XP SP2 and Vista 32 bit, my builder advises to RAID 0 these drives and partition 40/60 % respectively for a performance boost. I am inclined to install as stand alone drives with an OS on each, as I think that would be safer, and I think the performance gain from a RAID config would be negligible. Your opinions please.

keef66 15:25 11 Jan 2008

If you're spending the money on Raptors, then speed is obvoiusly your aim, so I'd go with his suggestion and use them in Raid 0 to squeeze that extra bit of performance out of them.

But make sure you do regular backups to an external drive since with Raid 0 if you lose one drive you've lost the lot.

PO79 15:32 11 Jan 2008

Precisely my point, if one OS goes down and requires a re-install/re-format then I lose the other as well. I chose the Raptors because they were there and the best that fell within my budget, so speed is not the main issue but safety. I have Acronis TI 11 and will back up both OS's to seperate USB drives. What I would really like to know is the performance hike from RAID overated or does it offer a real performance boost that makes configuring worth the risk. Any more opinions please.

anskyber 15:34 11 Jan 2008

There ia a theoretical speed advantage click here but keef66's warning is well placed.

anskyber 15:36 11 Jan 2008

As a belt and braces I run in RAID1 and I have Acronis.

A recent power cut led to my RAID configuration being verified and repaired automatically.

bluesbrother 16:08 11 Jan 2008

I've never seen the point of raid on a home pc. Much easier to use your fastest drive for OS and games and any other drive for backup and storage.

keef66 16:12 11 Jan 2008

If safety is your main concern then Anskyber's approach of Raid 1 plus Acronis backups to an external drive would be the best approach

PO79 16:22 11 Jan 2008

I think I have enough food for thought so I will tick as resolved, if anyone else wants to add the tuppence worth I will continue to monitor the thred for a while. Many thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone