Raid Mirriring and raid 5

crosstrainer 16:06 01 Apr 2006

I have recently installed a 250gb hdd to add to the already installed 160gb c drive (mbr) i have converted the latter to dynamic so should in theory be able to mirror the drives... however I will then lose a huge amount of capacity on the new drive so would rather purchase another identical 250gb and use the raid 5 option on my mobo (msi k4n neo platinum) Is there any way to do this without reinstalling xp pro? System is:
Athlon 3200+ 64, 2gb ddr400 4x sata (both hdds are sata) nvidia 6600gt pcie graphics plextor dvdrw, pioneer dvdrw samsung cd rom. I have my xp pro cd but would really like to avoid re-install if poss!

ade.h 17:14 01 Apr 2006

You've posted in Networking, but anyway...

You can build a RAID 1 array without a reinstallation, but any array that splits data - whether at block level or bit level - cannot be utilised without a re-installation.

Hardware RAID 5 - as opposed to software RAID 5 - is a great boost for both performance and redundancy.

ade.h 17:16 01 Apr 2006

There are a lot of RAID articles and explanations around, but probably the best run-down is this one: click here

crosstrainer 17:42 01 Apr 2006

ta for that, i will buy another 250gb and use the hardware soloution... looks like thats my Sunday sorted re-installing!

ade.h 17:47 01 Apr 2006

For what it's worth; with disks being quite cheap these days, you best bet is to buy two more and use RAID 10. This is similar to 0+1, but the two should not be confused (see my link).

Note that most types of array have varying degrees of need for identical disks. Bear this in mind before trying to set it up. Just how identical they have to be depends on the array type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone