RAID Drive Recovery (Pt.2)

sil_ver 11:53 05 Sep 2006

Done some more research in my quest to recover the data from an 'invisible' SATA drive In disk management it is listed as 'Unallocated' and the only option is 'Initialise' which I believe leads to format etc. which at the moment is not an option for me. I d'loaded a copy of Testdisk and ran it, the drive itself is fine but did suggest an error. My eye kept being drawn to 'MBR' as my suspicion is that it's corrupted due to a change of mobo and reinstalling XP on the other drive where it was originally. I didn't realise that the two drives appear to be regarded by the system(I think) as 1 partitioned drive JBOD. I'm still reluctant to use the MBR option if it means I finish up with an unrecoverable drive. Any suggestions appreciated

ade.h 14:53 05 Sep 2006

That's what true JBOD does; it makes "just a bunch of disks" into one big drive. Using partitions in JBOD can be a risk.

sil_ver 18:05 05 Sep 2006

ade.h
Neither of the drives was partitioned but I'm now aware that the O/S treats the non O/S disk as a partition. Would appreciate suggestions rather than comments.

UncleP 22:15 05 Sep 2006

I haven't yet found Part 1 of this thread, but please note that 'initialise' does not involve the formatting or re-formatting of the disk in question, as noted in my earlier thread
click here
but is required to bring it back on-line.

If necessary, check the Index entry in the Help and Support centre for a brief explanation of its function.

sil_ver 23:51 05 Sep 2006

UncleP
I'll bump Pt1 up the list, it's headed 'RAID disk recovery'. I'll certainly check out your suggestion as I really don't want to lose the data unless it becomes inevitable. I had read your original post when I was trawling for info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?