raid controller - what is it

jay.p 02:19 31 Dec 2006

in device manager i have a yellow question mark in other devices and a yellow exclaimation mark on raid controller.so what is it and how do i know if i have a raid controller,which i think i don't. also do i need to do anything.

ashdav 03:22 31 Dec 2006

If you have a SATA hardrive then your BIOS may (by default) see this as part of a RAID array.
RAID arrays allow the storage of all your data across several hardrives for data security (raid 1 where data is duplicated) or access speed (raid 0 where data is spread alternately across 2 or more hardrives).
If you only have one hardrive and everything working ok then leave it alone.
There are other versions of RAID (2 and above) but these are for server systems and impractical for home use.
click here for more info.

jay.p 14:35 31 Dec 2006

thanks ashdav
thinking of installing a 2nd hardrive for kids pc.would i need to set up as a raid controller or will it work ok just for storage.( xp ).

Batch 16:10 31 Dec 2006

If you are adding the 2nd drive to provide additional storage space, you do not want it set-up as RAID.

RAID is typically used where additional performance or protection (against loss of data) in a real time environment is required.

ashdav 01:37 01 Jan 2007

I would concur with Batchs' comment. You will not see any benefit on a home PC.
Better to use the 2nd hdd as storage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires