Radeon driver prob - do I have to pay for download

User-D741F308-D674-4279-90B19F89F559298B 16:50 21 Jan 2009

Everytime I boot up my PC there are vertical lines flashing everywhere so I have to reboot. On rebooting its usually then crystal clear as it should be (sometimes it takes a 3rd or 4th reboot).

I'm sick to death of doing this so I guess I should update the drivers at least though I'm doubtful this is the problem (any other suggestions greatly received) - its a 120mb ATI Radeon 9800 Graphics Card - nearly all the sites I've been to offer 'free' download then at the end either want to put a ton of stuff on your PC or charge for it - does anyone know of anywhere I can just get the drivers updated/upgraded.

Thanks for any help in advance

AndySD 16:59 21 Jan 2009
  ashdav 17:04 21 Jan 2009

click here
select for your operating systemthen follow the prompts.

ashdav 17:05 21 Jan 2009

guess I get the wooden spoon for slow typing.

wolfie3000 17:07 21 Jan 2009

click here

It may not sort out the problem but its the latest ati drivers and most importantly its free.

Never pay for drivers, its a big con.

Also heres a screenshot of which ones to choose, but remember to choose the correct operating system, either vista or XP or what ever you use.

click here

wolfie3000 17:08 21 Jan 2009

looks like i was a little late too. :)

Mr Mistoffelees 17:16 21 Jan 2009

"Never pay for drivers, its a big con."

Absolutely, download drivers from the hardware manufacturer, they never charge.

wolfie3000 17:22 21 Jan 2009

Also as a side note avoid BETA drivers and third party drivers like the plague.

Also try to either backup the driver downloads or better still burn them to disk so there always to hand if needed.

Stuartli 18:27 21 Jan 2009

The flashing lines could mean that you need a more powerful PSU - I had a similar problem with a Radeon graphics card several years ago and, on checking the manual, found it needed at least a 350w PSU.

A new 500w PSU banished the lines.

Stuartli 18:58 21 Jan 2009

Just for information. I now have a Radeon 9550 but I only use the ATi driver (can been downloaded from the ATi website) and avoid the Catalyst software, preferring the much more compact but equally efficient ATi Tray Tools. See:

click here

Thks for all the help guys - downloaded the drivers however made no difference at all to the problem. Its SO annoying - I can't believe its the graphics card itself so really don't want to shell out for a new one or any power issue as it ONLY happens on the first boot up of the PC with every subsequent power up that day absolutely fine. The CPU is about 90% free as its mainly used just for email etc not hammered at all and very little gets downloaded. Its about as stable as you can get in terms of change so what the hell could cause it.

I'm tempted to offer a flippin reward to save my sanity !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017