Radeon 4890 on chillblast system

Cousins 14:19 07 Nov 2009

Hi I have just had a Chillblast fusion strider system delivered . On 1st boot I get no signal from the monitor. It has a Radeon HD 4890 GRAPHICS CARD .I have tyred reconnecting the monitor cable a couple of times and checked that the card is seated properly,but no luck I am using a neovo F-419 monitor.

GaT7 18:00 07 Nov 2009

Is everything inside connected securely, including the HD4890 which requires 2x 6pin PCI-E connectors?

Sometimes components & cables can come loose due to vibrations/knocks in transit. G

Cousins 22:03 07 Nov 2009

yes I unseated the card and replaced it the fan is spinning but no beep on boot , I think it might be a dud card I did a google search and they seems to be a problem with some of them

mrwoowoo 22:25 07 Nov 2009

Remove the card and plug the monitor into the motherboard.
If it works you can rule out the monitor and perhaps narrow it down to the graphics card or the PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

Cousins 12:44 08 Nov 2009

There is no on-bored video so I can`t do that

GaT7 16:40 08 Nov 2009

Are both PCI-E connectors plugged in?

Are any LEDs (tiny red ones) lighting-up on the graphics card PCB (on the non-cooler side)? They are diagnostic LEDs & you can use these to determine what's wrong. From click here:

"If all red lights stay on the card is in most cases dead.

Diagnostic LED meanings for the HD4890 card [if lit up]:

D601: VDDC_FAULT

D1601: Critical temperature fault

D1602: AUX Hot Plug/Unplug Fault (upper connector)

D1603: AUX Hot Plug/Unplug Fault (lower connector)"

Being a brand new system, you should really contact ChillBlast & ask for help - do so first thing tomorrow morning. After Sales Help: 0845 45678 30. G

Cousins 18:37 08 Nov 2009

Thanks crossbow

I have sent them an email and will contact them Monday . I was trying to work out the problem in case it was some thing miner

GaT7 19:03 08 Nov 2009

Yes I understand, I'd have done the same thing initially. But as it appears to be unsolvable...?

PCI-E connectors OK? And what about the GPU's red LEDs?

You can also try resetting the CMOS. Let us know the motherboard make & model so we can determine where the jumper is located. G

Cousins 19:16 08 Nov 2009

PCI-E connectors both firmly in place
Can`t see any LED on boot on top side of card

Intel core i5 750 2.66Ghz processor

Artic cooling freezer 7 pro CPU cooler

MSC P55-CD53 MOTHERBOARD

4GB PC3-10666DDR3

Chillblast Radeon hd 4890 1024MB

1000GB 7200RPM HARD DISK X 2

Thermaltake High performance 500w psu

GaT7 19:35 08 Nov 2009

Regarding resetting the CMOS, refer to page 18 (diagram) & page 36 (instructions) on how to do it.

You need to look for 'JBAT1' next to the CMOS battery.

After resetting the CMOS you'll need to enter the BIOS & change the date & time at the very least. G

P.S. Please note that if it's a pre-overclocked system, the CMOS reset will return the system settings to their default state. Then you'll need to enter the BIOS & manually overclock it again. Hence it'll be a good idea to make a written/photographic note of the BIOS screens prior to resetting it. And get help (if required) with the overclock from Chillblast or us. If the system was not overclocked you don't need to worry about it too much

GaT7 19:36 08 Nov 2009

Sorry, the page references are from the PDF manual click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?