"Windows support" scam - did they succeed?

cyrano7 12:32 04 Apr 2017

Hello, I have just received a call from a lady pretending to belong to Windows' technical support team. She claimed they have received signals of mallicious software invading my PC. She asked for my downloading TeamViewer so that they can inspect my PC. I delievered them my TeamViewer ID but stopped myself from giving them the password. Could it be that they installed malware or steal details nontheless? Thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:50 04 Apr 2017

If you diddn't give the password then they can't connect so you should be OK.

Always wise to do a scan for malware anyway.

cyrano7 12:53 04 Apr 2017

A great many thanks!

wee eddie 13:46 04 Apr 2017

Uninstall Team Viewer, asap, but then you've probably already done that.

There are several free Malware detectors that will check for other potential problems. I assume that you have an Antivirus in place and up-to-date.

Run CCleaner and then Malwarebytes. In each case, download the 'Free Version', not the 'Free Trial Version'. Sometimes you have to look quite hard for the Free Version

rdave13 21:26 08 Apr 2017

Bin CCleaner. In my humble opinion not worth the free download any more. Use the browser's own history deletion facility.

The registry cleaning is no longer safe, again in my opinion, only. Others might disagree though.

wee eddie 21:45 08 Apr 2017

Others do

Forum Editor 22:52 08 Apr 2017

rdave13

This other disagrees.

rdave13 22:55 08 Apr 2017

Hmm can't see the repetitions of my single post anymore .

rdave13 23:14 08 Apr 2017

FE and others it would be prudent to save the registry backup offered via CCleaner from now on. If your machine goes belly up then the reg backup is useless any way. Just be a tad careful with CReators upgrade pending.

I have been a long time advocate of CCleaner but in modern WIndows I've removed it. That's all I can say in my particular set_up.

Rishabh Bhatia 13:44 12 Apr 2017

Hi. I have worked for more than 2 years with tech supports. When this happens

She claimed they have received signals of malicious software invading my PC

Stop right there, End the call. It's fake. Nothings wrong with your computer if you're not noticing it in the first place & No, your PC is not sending any help signals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires