Is this a "spam" on gmail

laptopdunce 10:48 09 May 2014
Answered

I have just got a very strange email in on my gmail email account, it is from Parcelforce.co.uk, it says I have been sent a parcel it shows my full postal address and it has a tracking number (but the tracking number is nothing like the usual 16 digit one) it has come from an email address called:- [email protected]

I don't even use this particular gmail address with my ebay and I haven't ordered anything recently, I just cant imagine what this is for, do you think this is a kind of "sneak" "spam" email? the tracking number they send doesn't even come up on the official parcelforce website, but how did they get my full UK postal address?? I am not even in the UK at present. very worrying all this!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Secret-Squirrel 11:17 09 May 2014

Laptopdunce, because you're abroad and certainly not expecting a UK delivery, the message you received is almost certainly a scam/phishing/malware-laden email. I'd delete it and forget about it if I were you.

"but how did they get my full UK postal address??"

Probably in the same way they got your email address - unscrupulous companies you've previously dealt with sell on your email address, postal address and phone number :(

iscanut 11:32 09 May 2014

Spam and probably includes a nasty if you open anything ! Ignore it and delete. Fed Express also do the same thing.

bumpkin 12:41 09 May 2014

Just as a precaution I would check that nothing has been bought using your credit/debit card.

BRYNIT 13:22 09 May 2014

I could be wrong but Parcel force or any delivery company would not send you an email as they will only have your address/post code. Tracking numbers would be supplied by the person sending the parcel/goods when they inform you that the good have been despatched.

rdave13 15:46 09 May 2014

BRYNIT, unless you order from SportsDirect, then Yodel will have your email :(

laptopdunce, if you click on the down arrow (near the date top right of the mail)to get "more", in the list select "show original". This will open a new page and you will be able to 'read' the header. Read from bottom to up to follow the message's route. Useful tip on reading headers here.

bumpkin 18:09 11 May 2014

"the sender has arranged to have a collection made next week ".

Why would the sender wish to collect it I wonder. This sounds highly dubious to me even if the Parcelforce Emails are genuine.

bumpkin 18:14 11 May 2014

"the sender has arranged to have a collection made next week ".

Why would the sender wish to collect it I wonder. This sounds highly dubious to me even if the Parcelforce Emails are genuine.

bumpkin 18:38 11 May 2014

Let's say for example that I have stolen all your personal details I now order 2 or 3 very expensive phones using your C card. The genuine supplier sends them via a bona fide courier who keeps you informed by email. I then contact you and say it was an error and the parcel which you have now signed for will be collected, As you were not expecting anything this sounds viable until you get your CC bill. This is a scam that has been around for a while which is why I suggested checking with your card company.

Secret-Squirrel 08:38 12 May 2014

.......and who is "P CDimwit" (surely that should be "PC Dimwit"?) What happened to laptopdunce?

bumpkin 19:33 12 May 2014

SS, same person I assume. Seems like they ordered something and then found it "very worrying" about being advised of its progress:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?