"Non System Disk Error" after I used "disk sanitizer" on my HP Laptop.

JordanGByrne 11:24 20 Mar 2015

I recently used "disk Sanitizer" on my HP laptop and left if over night to clear, hoping that it wouldn't wipe the whole operating system etc. I woke up to to my laptop saying it was all done, so i rebooted the laptop, and when it came back on an error message appeared saying " Non-system Disk Error" and then wouldn't progress past the black start up screen. Could someone please help as to what this means and how/if there is anyway around this. or is my laptop well and truly broken. Any help would be appreciated as i have no clue what i'm doing. Thank you.

northumbria61 11:28 20 Mar 2015

Take a look at HP Support

northumbria61 11:30 20 Mar 2015

Just a thought - you haven't left a DVD in your drive have you?

Jollyjohn 11:46 20 Mar 2015

Disk sanitizer has done what it is designed to do - sanitize the disk - it has removed everything. You need a Windows disc to now boot from and re install the operating system.

Jollyjohn 11:49 20 Mar 2015

Seems you are not alone - google "disk sanitizer" and this is the top answer - click here

JordanGByrne 11:54 20 Mar 2015

Hi, Thanks for the quick responses. Northumbria61 I didn't leave any disk in the hard drive as i was told there was a possibility that this would also be erased so removed everything. And Jolly John, i was under the impression that when i done this it would keep the operating system. Obviously not. But would you where i could get on these disks from?? just a new operating system disk?? sorry for my incompetence.

bumpkin 12:18 20 Mar 2015

What OS, if Win7 or 8. You can download it a burn a disk on another PC. You will of course need your existing licence key.

bumpkin 12:39 20 Mar 2015

Try this link click here You may have to answer one of the questions at the top left before the text appears but it seems to work OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?