Quiet PC that's not overpowered/too big

fishslap 12:47 13 Jul 2010

I'm looking to buy a new desktop pc that will sit in the living room at home and the absolute key feature is that its as quiet as possible (my wife hates the noise coming from the pc).

I've read around about liquid cooling and the response seems quite mixed as to whether it is always quieter so I'm a little confused on that...

Also, a lot of the machines built to be quiet seem to be hi-spec gaming rigs (which also tend to be on the overly large size).

I've built systems before but am way to busy right now so ideally I'm looking for a pre-built or custom built one. If its custom built then it would need to come from someone that can reliably recommend the constituent parts since I have no way to test them.

So... I'm trying to find a quiet as possible not over-powered or over-sized system but can't seem to find anyone that supplies this niche.

Does anyone have any suggestions on systems that fulfil this criteria or can recommend a supplier that may be able to help?

Many thanks!

MAT ALAN 12:57 13 Jul 2010

Is buying a laptop a consideration, space saver and quiet....

fishslap 13:03 13 Jul 2010

We have a laptop at the moment and its sadly far from quiet... which is why I thought we a desktop would be better this time around. More space for the air to circulate should mean it can run cooler (or so I thought anyway)

Our living room does get very warm in summer which is why the laptop fans sound like they are about to take off a lot of the time. If I do anything processor heavy on a warm day then it will simply overheat and shut itself down automatically to protect itself from blowing.

Not ideal but rebuilding the living room isn't an option ;)

gengiscant 15:01 13 Jul 2010

Have a look here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone