"Quiet microphone" on Skype

sajeev 14:07 06 Jan 2010

I get the message "your microphone is very quiet" when I attempt to call on Skype if my laptop has been on for a while.
This is a recent development. I have checked all the sound and Skype settings and everything is okay. If I shut down and restart and make the call/calls again, everything works fine. What could be causing this?
It is a nuisance as I have to reboot every time I want to make a call. Also, when I receive a call, the caller cannot hear me, till I reboot and we call each other again.
I have not made any recent software changes.I have restored to an earlier date but the problem persists. I have tried different microphones with no benefit.
I am using Skype 4.1, Windows XP SP3 and free Avira.
Google chrome 3.01
Please help

Seth Haniel 14:17 06 Jan 2010

Start - Settings - Control panel - Sounds Audio devices - Voice - Volume ??

sajeev 14:42 06 Jan 2010

Thanks SH
Yes its always been set at Maximum

Sea Urchin 16:26 06 Jan 2010

This guides you through audio settings for Skype - notice as you read through it that in the Volume Control box the entry for Microphone should be muted - surprising but true.

click here

sajeev 17:11 06 Jan 2010

Thanks for all the advice and links: all the settings are as required.
An essential part of my query is, I think, being missed: The mike becomes normal on reboot.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Sajeev

Woolwell 17:12 06 Jan 2010

Laptop make and model?

sajeev 17:35 06 Jan 2010

Dell Inspiron 700m
1.7Gig Processor
80 G hard drive (23 gig free space)
1.2 G Ram

Woolwell 20:41 06 Jan 2010

Hm - seems that there may be a problem with the Dell 700m click here

T0SH 21:41 06 Jan 2010

Have you tried going back to an earlier version of Skype? maybe version 3.8 in one of the flavours

I had nothing but trouble with version 4.1, (for the few times I used it after being prompted to update) mostly my problems with the interface and the complexity of using video in calls but I also had a couple of occasions when I got the "your microphone is very quiet" problem

Since I reverted to version 3.8 it has worked faultlessy as it did before I fell for the update gotcha :¬)

Cheers HC

sajeev 14:39 07 Jan 2010

Thanks Woolwell and Tosh.
I think it is unlikely that it is the Dell 700m as it has performed faultlessly with Skype till recently.
Perhaps it is the 4.1 Skype version.
From where can I download the 3.8 version?
Thanks
Sajeev

Sea Urchin 15:05 07 Jan 2010

You can download from here

click here

but uninstall your existing version first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?