Quiet CPU fan

Danny Barnard 19:32 13 May 2009

Hiya I posted earlier about replacing my Motherboard and CPU, and got advice to pretty much build from scratch. I've got a list of potential components now. I've found a pretty awsome silent PSU it's got good reviews and was recommended by a friend its a 600W coolermaster silent pro, apparently it is top for low noise. I also want low noise for my CPU fan. I don't wanna get ripped off so I was just wondering has heared of or have any really effective but very quiet, (I mean very quiet) CPU fans? I find this quite important so to be honest I'm willing to fork out around £60 on it.

Danny Barnard 19:37 13 May 2009

Forgot to mention I'm gonna be using a socket 775 and a intel quad core 2 8200

Stuartli 19:38 13 May 2009
  Danny Barnard 19:43 13 May 2009

Ahh thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I heard Zalman cropping up quite a bit are they quite a good brand?

Stuartli 20:04 13 May 2009

Yes.

citadel 20:24 13 May 2009

quiet pc have stock of quiet heatsinks and other stuff, frostytech.com have reviews of heatsinks with list of quietest.

[email protected] 20:37 13 May 2009

i use and akasa evolution on amd (still the best bit of kit i have ever bought! i have never even had a fan on it. 940be @3.6gz highest temp on prime95 51c. click here
and use a zalman titanium flower on intel, i couldnt get another evo. the zalman is deafening with the fan on mid, but cant hear it at 12% and that's all you need, both heatsinks do a fantastic job without the need for fans really, antec 900 and 1200 cases so loads of airflow.
remember the bigger the fan the slower it turns so try to get a 120 fan.

I am Spartacus 20:41 13 May 2009

The Zalmans are nowhere near quiet when running at normal speeds i.e. enough to keep the CPU reasonably cool.

The Scythe Kama Angle in Stuartli's link has had some pretty good reviews in magazine tests recently and you have the option of fitting a low speed fan. The Scythe Ninja is also pretty good but not I would suggest for a Quad Core, they're excellent on Dual Cores though.

I have used Thermalright Ultra Extremes for quite a while now and found them probably one of the best air coolers for Quad Cores together with a fan like the Xilence Red Wing click here or the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1150 RPM click here

If you've no plans to overclock then possibly an 800rpm fan would be enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?