QuickTime Task and PC Advisor

Audeal 20:48 15 Aug 2006

My operating System is XP Pro and I use the program "Startup Monitor" to keep a check on what is being set to start at bootup. Since yesterday I have been getting the following message everytime I change a page on this forum:

The Program QuickTime Task has registered the executable C:\Program Files\Quick Time\qttask.exe -atboottime to run at system start up Do you wish to allow this change. Then I get the option th click Yes or No. I click No.

The next time I change a page here it happens again. I have tried all the following tasks to get rid of this message:

I have tried Un-installing Quick Time from "Add/Remove Files" and it tells me that it has gone, but it hasn't.

Scanned for Viruses using "Avast". Result = Clean
Scanned for Spyware using the following software:
Adaware, Spybot, Spydefense, SuperAntiSpyware. Results = Clean.

Checked for Malware using the following software:
a-squared, ewido. Results = Clean

I have also used the follow software:
CCleaner, RegScrubXP, Cleanup.

I even tried a restore point going back two days which did not cure it so I restored it back to the original.

This occurrence only happens when using this forum which is rather puzzling. It is not a big deal but is rather annoying.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem and advise me how I can get rid of the QuickTime program and the problem with it.

Many thanks.

VoG II 21:06 15 Aug 2006

Very odd!

I would check that qttask.exe is not listed in msconfig click here

Also see click here

Audeal 21:58 15 Aug 2006

Hi VoG™. Thanks for your reply. I seem to have solved it now. I downloaded the latest QuickTime and installed it and then I was left with two files in the Add/Remove Folder. I then removed the original file, the one which would not go away and then it did go away. I Then removed the new one and that went as well. Now I am not getting the window popping up. I will reinstall QuickTime if I should need it later.

Thanks for your assistance. Audeal

vinnyT 14:54 16 Aug 2006

Realise you have closed thread but...

Or you could try QuickTime Alternative which will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt, .3gp and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages.

Get it from click here.

It's free and, in my opinion, better than QuickTime.

Hope this helps.

wolfie3000 14:56 16 Aug 2006

I get this where i open a thread and qttask.exe trys to run,

I found that blocking it with spybot solves this problem.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?