quicktime and iTunes install failure - error 1628

frustrated! 12:11 04 Jan 2007

Please can someone help, I am having nightmare trying to install quicktime and iTunes onto my PC. The operating system is Windows 2000 (service pack 4). When I try and install the software I get a fleeting glance of the installer box - saying preparing to install. It then disappears and nothing else happens. It is not even shown as running in Task Manager and the only way I can get rid of it is to shut down my computer - at which point it mentions error 1628. I know this can be associated with access priveliges but I am logged on as the administrator. I have tried to unload my existing version of Quicktime (which appears to be very out of date Quicktime 32 version 2.1.2.59) and think I have managed this but I am not sure as it's been a hard slog - I can still see the Quicktime control panel in the control panel which I don't like but when I verify setup no files can be found. I have been sat here for two days reading everything I can find on the subject and as yet nothing has worked. Please has anyone any ideas?

recap 12:21 04 Jan 2007

click here for itunes installer error.

Technotiger 12:23 04 Jan 2007

click here

Maybe this will help.

frustrated! 13:57 04 Jan 2007

Recap - thanks for the link! At first I thought you were a complete genius as I appeared to have installed Quicktime successfully. Whilst it is shown on my system however, there is obviously some problem with the installation as I cannot get iTunes to install and it is saying it's because Quicktime is not installed correctly. Any more genius suggestions of where I go from here would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your help so far and thanks too to Technotiger.

frustrated! 14:16 04 Jan 2007

OMG - I take it back, you are a complete genius!!! I think I have managed to load everything after rebooting my computer and giving it another go. Thanks so much for all your help.

Technotiger 14:26 04 Jan 2007

Great, glad you are happy now. Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?