Quicker wi-fi for Acer Netbook

dkuk15 09:43 23 Feb 2015

Hi,

I have a acer Aspire V5 - 121 11.6' Netbook. This is used with Virgin media superhub (older one). Package I'm on provides maximum speeds of 50mbps. As the netbook isnt very powerful I use a belkin dongle which helps but I want internet to load pages quicker - can anyone help with this?

I'm thinking of getting a better dongle or a plug in wi-fi booster but I don't know if this will work/which one to get!

Dan

alanrwood 10:34 23 Feb 2015

It probably has nothing to do with the network. These netbooks are not very powerful and the limiting factor is usually processor activity. I look at the processor activity on my netbook and it is at 100% a lot of the time. Even the basic WiFi is at 54Mb/s which is faster than the speed of your internet connection which will probably not supply consistently at 50Mb/s anyway.Unfortunately you cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

dkuk15 12:13 23 Feb 2015

Thanks for your advice.

ok then how about if I bought another router say the virgin superhub 2 which is faster but continued paying for 50mbps as I don't want to pay more?

Secret-Squirrel 12:21 23 Feb 2015

Dan, click here, do the speedtest and report back the results (ping, download, and upload speeds). Do the test with your netbook in the area of your flat/house where it's normally used and then with your netbook a few feet away from the router.

alanrwood 18:53 23 Feb 2015

Hi

If your download speed is 50Mb/s then that is the fastest you can ever achieve even if you fitted all the latest WiFi router gear. You can't get "Sumat for Nowt" as they say up here. You are always limited to the slowest part of the chain.

robin_x 19:33 23 Feb 2015

This may help

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?