Quick RAM question

Hi

I have a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz computer with a Matsonic MS9147C motherboard

Until recently, it had 2 x 128MB PC2100 RAM giving it 256MB in total and the PC ran fine for my needs. However, one of the sticks has now just about died on me so I am going to replace it.

I am likely to upgrade the whole computer within the next year, and use a higher speed RAM (eg. PC2700 / PC3200) so it makes sense to get a stick of that speed now. However, I also wish to keep me current 128MB stick in at the moment (which is PC2100) to have 384MB.

My question is, if I do buy a faster type (say, PC2700 or PC3200) will they just be downclocked to PC2100 when I put them in or would they only work with their own speed?

Thanks, Dave

Chris..b 09:44 05 Nov 2004

RAM only works at the speed the motherboard will allow so buy the same as what the manufactures fitted

Chris..b 09:44 05 Nov 2004

RAM only works at the speed the motherboard will allow so buy the same as what the manufactures fitted

I built the computer myself and used PC2100 because that was what I had spare from my old computer. The motherboard dose support up to PC3200

just checked, it will only support up to PC2700. If I buy that, will it downclock to PC2100 if used with my other 128MB PC2100 stick?

BigMoFoT 10:00 05 Nov 2004

More than likely it will clock the memory down yes but it may cause your system to be a bit unstable....

If and where possible I would use memory of the same speed/quality/brand

oh well...I'll just order PC2100.

Thanks for the responces.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?