Quick question

paulman8888 19:54 19 Jun 2008

Am using Windows XP.
I think I have a virus because I cant load up my PC.
It comes up with login screen then it shows the desktop background images then nothing else happens.
Not even when I do CTRL + ALT + DEL

Please can someone tell me get my PC working again.

(PS, good job I have this old laptop.)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 19 Jun 2008

Possible a corrupt profile.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Technotiger 20:03 19 Jun 2008

Try starting in Safe Mode - press F8 during start-up. When in safe mode try a System Restore back to when it was working ok.

paulman8888 20:09 19 Jun 2008

Sorry Fruit Bat i cant because i dont have a boot disc.

Technotiger when do i press F8?
I have had 3 goes and i still nothing happens.

I still thing its a virus because my computer went very slow before it stop booting properly.

Is there some boot CD anti virus thing i can download?

chub_tor 20:16 19 Jun 2008

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Technotiger 20:21 19 Jun 2008

You probably held F8 down - just tap F8 until Safe Mode boot starts.

paulman8888 20:36 19 Jun 2008

It worked abit but didn't restore because theirs nothing to restore. I have a program that gets rid of temp files and unnecessary files.

Thankyou for trying to help me anyway.

Do you have any more ideas?
Thankyou
Paul

paulman8888 20:36 19 Jun 2008

It worked abit but didn't restore because theirs nothing to restore. I have a program that gets rid of temp files and unnecessary files.

Thankyou for trying to help me anyway.

Do you have any more ideas?
Thankyou
Paul

Technotiger 21:40 19 Jun 2008

Do you have any anti-virus programs on your pc - if so perhaps you could run them in Safe Mode now that you know how to start in Safe mode.

paulman8888 15:20 20 Jun 2008

Nope, that doesn't work. Is there some sort of anti virus that can boot from a CD?

I am really trying everything i know but it still doesn't work.

Thankyou for helping

mymate 15:38 20 Jun 2008

Have you tried doing chkdsk. Try it from safe mode if you cant get into it normally.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures:
• To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?